🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Has the coronavirus outbreak impacted you at all?

Started by
83 comments, last by Tom Sloper 3 years, 11 months ago

kayode10 said:

To be very honest covid-19 has affected my weekends. I work in a company that call for full focus and attention.

As a result of this, I have to work for more than forty hours from Monday to Friday. So I have only Saturday and Sunday To relax. I spent my leisure hours to watching football matches and other sporting activities on satellite subscribed TV.

Now that all sporting activities have been suspended till indefinite, it means I will be have boring weekends because I person who like staying indoor when I am less busy.

Also, it has affected my business too, because I have a websites which various grilling equipments and tools like wireless thermometers, grate, grill, smoker etc. Revenue has been reduced since covid-19 broke out. I wish they could found the cure on time so that everything will return to normal.

the vaccine is at least one year away. Maybe more. Hopefully it becomes more minimal soon.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement

An interesting read on the spread of COVID-19, it's complicated. There is mention of quite a few recent studies and reasearch on the subject, for those of us who have the time :-)

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/why-do-dozens-diseases-wax-and-wane-seasons-and-will-covid-19

tl,dr: Political statements about its spread and if it will disappear on its own soon or if it has seasonal dependencies are unfounded at the moment.

Green_Baron said:

Political statements about its spread and if it will disappear on its own soon or if it has seasonal dependencies are unfounded at the moment.

Does this mean Trump lied to us? No way! Don't believe those scientists, Trump is always right! We will all survive!

All bars, clubs, cinemas, etc. are now closed in Berlin, Germany. And my parents decided to go on a vacation today. My mother even tried to kiss me on my cheek. We're all gonna die xD

Beosar said:
All bars, clubs, cinemas, etc. are now closed in Berlin, Germany. And my parents decided to go on a vacation today. My mother even tried to kiss me on my cheek. We're all gonna die xD

In Czechia they think about shutting whole country down. That means we're not allowed to go outside except for: Buying food or drugs, going to work and from work.

Public transportation will still work (not everyone has car - and has to get into work).

I still don't know how to walk my dog (people in home quarantine should walk him in a way “not to meet other people"), as I don't have a garden. But I live in small city that lies on large surface area - so even during normal days I usually don't meet anyone when walking my dog.

Also we are recommended to wear respirator or face mask … for past 20+ days, selling of those is crime by law (I'm not joking). Our government apparently doesn't know what they are doing… (not surprised, they don't know it since this republic has been created).

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Vilem Otte said:
In Czechia they think about shutting whole country down. That means we're not allowed to go outside except for: Buying food or drugs, going to work and from work.

Just happened here in Austria, at least in my province which is close to the outbreak in Italy. We are all quarantined and instructed not to leave the house except to buy food. Businesses suspended, many already lost their jobs at least temporally. We also have sub-lock-downs to isolate whole valleys from the rest of the province. Infections almost double each day. We are a tourism region, but the decision to close borders and lock down came too late. It seems nobody was prepared well enough, although we should have known better. Seems the same applies to the rest of the world.
(But i'm allowed to walk the dogs, AFAIK)

I expect at least a serious economical crisis after this.

Vilem Otte said:

Just happened here in Austria, at least in my province which is close to the outbreak in Italy. We are all quarantined and instructed not to leave the house except to buy food. Businesses suspended, many already lost their jobs at least temporally. We also have sub-lock-downs to isolate whole valleys from the rest of the province. Infections almost double each day. We are a tourism region, but the decision to close borders and lock down came too late. It seems nobody was prepared well enough, although we should have known better. Seems the same applies to the rest of the world.
(But i'm allowed to walk the dogs, AFAIK)

I expect at least a serious economical crisis after this.

I've already been working from home for three weeks, the whole company and our customers are working from home, and I rely on Google Hangouts for conference calls (replacing actual meetings, a welcome change), as a substitute of conversation, and as a realtime status update of who's at work. Several people have definitely disappeared in the middle of fairly urgent work. Someone will die.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

@joej It came too late here too, we locked down maybe as first in EU but still to late (They had tested first people here on 27th January (negative)), the border checks should have been enacted immediately.

At this point, there are over 200 (rise about 20% - 30% each day) … honestly as I do have contacts in healthcare (due to contracts I have … which may result in 100 hrs. work weeks in following month), they all already state that due to numerous asymptomatic cases and numerous cases with mild progress (literally common cold) - the amount of infected is most likely already in tens of thousands if not hundreds.

I expect pretty much every EU member state to go the way Italy did, sadly.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Vilem Otte said:
At this point, there are over 200 (rise about 20% - 30% each day) … honestly as I do have contacts in healthcare (due to contracts I have … which may result in 100 hrs. work weeks in following month), they all already state that due to numerous asymptomatic cases and numerous cases with mild progress (literally common cold) - the amount of infected is most likely already in tens of thousands if not hundreds.

Ok, this could explain why the death : recovered ratio is 4 : 6 in Europe but 1 : 20 in China. Probably hard to classify, leading to noisy data.

Well, I hope we all make it to see how this will change the world.

I just had 30 minutes of laugh, now seriously … what kind of comedy is our government.

At 4:34pm they stated, that pre-school facilities (kindergartens and others) are going to get shut down.

At 4:50pm they stated, that those facilities are not going to get shut down, that they meant it different way.

Apparently they are trying to replace comedians who lost their jobs due to shutdown of theaters. I won't argue, they are very good at it. You can just laugh, nothing else to do here…

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement