🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Welcome to the new GameDev.net!

Started by
160 comments, last by khawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Can't quote parts of a post, not even by quoting the full post and deleting the stuff I don't want because that deletes the whole quote...

Also cannot find a way to follow topics to receive notifications for new replies.

Advertisement

My reply isn't being saved.

Or maybe it is saved and not shown when refreshing the page? Sorry for posting repeatedly but I cannot edit or even find my previous posts, so what should I do? ;)

@Beosar; also seeing that. Between changes not showing up immediately, and the various other strange behaviour, this is looking to me like an extremely slow cluster database synchronization. We're submitting our posts, profile edits, etc to various members of the cluster, but then we refresh the page and get the page rendered by other members of the cluster, and only see the changes that member is aware of.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

Hi all, I can't reply to everyone right now but please keep the feedback and questions coming. All feedback and issues are being collected and prioritized. I'll reply more to directly to questions when I have more than a moment.

I do want to reiterate that I launched the site knowing things were missing / not working. If you see something not working or missing from the old site, chances are it's in the Trello backlog. For me personally this was the best window to launch in the near future - otherwise I'd be waiting another 6 months, and that just can't happen. The site is very usable as it is right now, thankfully, and improvements will continue!

Couple notes I'm understanding:

• Looks like I need to check on Firefox for the inline editing
  • Select-quote is missed (I knew it would be - it was on the list to do but missed the cut for launch)
  • Unread post markers
  • Need to get the GameDev Challenge rewards enabled (also in the post-launch backlog)
  • I'm not liking the "View more" either for long content like this thread. Time to bring back pagination or make it a user configurable setting (long term idea), or base it on screen size (maybe it's more UX applicable to mobile)
  • Notifications aren't showing a NEW tag (i.e. from a new comment in a thread), and tagging in a post isn't sending a notification - also editing a post with Tags is broken.
  • The editor likes to scroll jump the window. Annoying.
  • Adding image through toolbar still broken
  • Editor has a few more quirks to work through

Might be missing a few things, but these items appear to be the most common/consistent and things I've noticed too. I'll put priority on these in the coming day or two.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This might be a bad suggestion... who knows... but I think having a visual list some where tagged on the first page so people can see if their issue has been reported prior to posting and what is currently pending a fix or is fixed already, and also how high up the priority queue that issue is.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Unfortunately the site is completely mangled on iPad (Safari and Chrome). I couldn't even mention it until I got back on to my PC this morning, as you can't even reply to posts. The post button is there, but nowhere to type in the text.

... issues may have been mentioned already:

Pasting a link inserts at random positions in the written text, overwriting it and can't be undone.

Can't reply to PMs.

PM bubbles in dark color theme are still bright background and text is white.

I like the dark theme and full width layout :)

^^ Just tried to use the quote marks feature and found a the same thing happened funnily enough.

I'll Do this instead.

"Pasting a link inserts at random positions in the written text, overwriting it and can't be undone."

Found this problem occurring as well. I'm on Chrome in Windows 10, FWIW.

I'm sorry - I feel bad being negative, but this is not a positive change. I'm not a regular poster nowadays (I used to be...) but it seems to be more of the kinds of changes that pushed me away. Comments here relate to the forums:

• Huge waste of "white space" (depending on light/dark theme!). I don't get this - I come here for information and to be able to scan without scrolling etc. For example, just above this edit box there are four "one line/sentence" posts - and that is all that fits on the screen! Similarly for the topic list in a forum. And this from someone whose eyes are failing and can't even generally cope with small text these days!
  • It's slower to load pages/topics (hard to compare - but I don't remember it being as sluggish as this).
  • No read/unread indication. Seems unbelievable this was pushed out without that support.
  • No "page" support for threads/topics. That makes it harder to manage/navigate long threads.
  • No search-in-topic.
  • This editor is buggy (not a significant comment, because bug fixes are easy). Seems weird I could hit a bug (using "*" for bullet points) within 10 seconds of typing, not doing anything weird.

There seems to be a reinvention of the wheel here, and I don't really get it. It distracts from the content - and I think has pulled people like me away from gamedev to other forums which might not look pretty but are much easier to use (e.g. Bullet forums for physics).

Sorry - this is rather negative - but I'm just trying to give you another data point!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement