🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Introducing GreasePencil

Started by
0 comments, last by Keith Boshoff 5 years, 7 months ago

Hi all,

I've just released Grease Pencil for Unity, a scene and object annotation tool.

You can use it to plan out levels, create stand-in art, leave notes for level designers and a whole bunch of stuff I haven't even thought of yet.

Basic features

• Create one or more Grease Pencil canvases per gameObject.
  • Each canvas can have multiple layers with different rendering options
  • Process your strokes with experimental tools like Smooth, Tighten and Optimize
  • Grease Pencil will even render in your game scene and can be used as final artwork.
  • Because canvases are attached to gameObjects, Grease Pencil is compatible with prefabs.

Get Grease Pencil here

History

v1.1 (PREVIEW) - Added modifier stack with Smooth, Tighten, Optimize, Normalize, Sketch and Connect modifiers, more to come.

Roadmap

• Scatter objects along grease pencil strokes
  • Edit / Sculpt strokes
  • Variable stroke width
  • Grease Pencil to Geometry: create vines, pipes, hoses, viper pits. (Combine with scatter for cool effects)
  • Post-stroke modifiers (smooth, tighten, noise)
  • Stroke processors (lazy mouse, coil, etc.)
  • Non-destructive layer modifiers (smooth, tighten, optimize, noise, etc.)

Bluesky Roadmap

• Draw in UI space, ie. draw UI elements (including 9-slice like support), make UI wireframes, etc.
  • Text support - Instead of writing type and premade (or custom!) glyphs will be baked down to grease pencil strokes.
  • Textured Strokes - Stretch a texture along each stroke
  • Run-time drawing and saving

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

View full story

Making games at RetroEpic Software.

Lead programmer - Flash Point : Fire Rescue

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement