🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Battlefield V "Historical Accuracy" Controversy

Started by
161 comments, last by benjamin1441 6 years ago
4 minutes ago, Bob Marl said:

BF1 with lots of black soldiers in ww1. No 'normal' gamer thinks this is a good idea. From my point of view, this is only to cater to SJWs.

Your sad attempt at othering gamers that disagree with you as "not normal" is tiresome.

Advertisement
1 minute ago, Mynx said:

It's people being upset that there are girls in their boys only club.

But why can't I have a boy only club? Am I a sexist? A bigot? A monster? Why am I wrong for wanting that?

And back to case 1. If you're gonna answer to that, you explain to me why I'm wrong. If you think I'm wrong and you are right, you imply that you are better than me. That's called moralizing and I don't like that.

5 minutes ago, Mynx said:

Basically they're complaining because other people get to have extra toppings if they want to.

Nope. Have toppings on YOUR pizza. Don't touch mine.

3 minutes ago, Bob Marl said:

BF1 with lots of black soldiers in ww1. No 'normal' gamer thinks this is a good idea. From my point of view, this is only to cater to SJWs.

I said 'everywhere' as a figure of speech. It's not everywhere, but you see it more and more.

Thanks, i did not notice, but i played only some arabic desert the mission. I'll install again and take a look when i get to it...

5 minutes ago, Bob Marl said:

Well, there's 2 schools of thought here. Yours that believe the player is not important : "Your contribution to the game is zero". And mine that believes the player is everything: "Your contribution to the game is the reason why the game exists".

Agree - truth should be somewhere in the middle. But you forget  that only i know both sides. If you stay here long enough and make your own game, you'll understand.

Just now, Mynx said:

Your sad attempt at othering gamers that disagree with you as "not normal" is tiresome. 

The definition of normal is "confirming to a standard". I was the standard and you broke the standard. There is nothing negative nor positive about the word, it's just factually descriptive.

5 minutes ago, Bob Marl said:

That's called moralizing and I don't like that.

Welcome to the internet my friend. 

1 minute ago, JoeJ said:

But you forget  that only i know both sides. If you stay here long enough and make your own game, you'll understand.

I've made plenty of games, but I haven't sold any because I do it for a hobby.

Wait a minute, how is Battlefield 1 forced diversity???? Black soldiers in it automatically make it forced diversity? Dude, the Harlem Hellfighters fought in WW1. Ottomans, Arabs, Indians, and other ethnicities were all involved in that conflict. That is absolutely not forced diversity. The campaign mission was based off of the Harlem Hellfighters.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Just now, deltaKshatriya said:

Wait a minute, how is Battlefield 1 forced diversity???? Black soldiers in it automatically make it forced diversity? Dude, the Harlem Hellfighters fought in WW1. Ottomans, Arabs, Indians, and other ethnicities were all involved in that conflict. That is absolutely not forced diversity.

Harlem Hellfighters had less than 10% into combat roles. The european front was a huge majority of whites. That's really an argument of history now and I'm no expert, but you can find lots of blogs/videos that go into details.

3 minutes ago, Bob Marl said:

But why can't I have a boy only club? Am I a sexist? A bigot? A monster? Why am I wrong for wanting that?

And back to case 1. If you're gonna answer to that, you explain to me why I'm wrong. If you think I'm wrong and you are right, you imply that you are better than me. That's called moralizing and I don't like that.

Ok, I'll bite.

First, being wrong doesn't make anyone worse than someone else, it means they have something new to learn. Turning it into a personal insult is half of the reason people get toxic in the first place.

Second, I don't see a problem in wanting a boys space in itself, but your space literally takes up the entire playground. Any space I go to, like movies, games, comics, etc, are all male dominated. You're the only one who has a space, and you won't share it without kicking and screaming.

You don't seem to realize that almost everything out there is tailored to you, it's all made for you. There isn't much of a space for me, and developers are finally opening up a little bit and sharing that space so girls like me can get in on the fun, but the boys are throwing up a fuss about it. Don't you think that's a bit selfish?

1 minute ago, Bob Marl said:

The definition of normal is "confirming to a standard". I was the standard and you broke the standard. There is nothing negative nor positive about the word, it's just factually descriptive.

Standard? Nobody I know or have ever talked to has complained about Battlefield 1 catering to SJWs, a term that didn't even reach mainstream until a decade after the game was released.

You are the very first person I've seen complain about this.

There have been multiple videos, posts and comments about how Battlefield and CoD are far from realistic, but that they are masters at convincing kids that it is. They add fun game mechanics where the realism would tare the game apart. I think they were attempting to get with the times and move to a more diverse setting where you can play as a female character if you decide even if realistically that wouldn't have been a thing. Not to mention that the game has gone from MW2 fan-boy days to more casual players both male and female. It seems that tactic bit them in the ass as they faced a plethora of teens assuming Battlefield or CoD is anywhere NEAR a legit representation of real war. I think it all comes down to the fact that we are talking about a video game here, and video games aren't meant to be realistic. Even games like Escape from Tarkov that focus 100% on realism have toy mechanics that make it fun.  

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement