🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Battlefield V "Historical Accuracy" Controversy

Started by
161 comments, last by benjamin1441 6 years ago
17 minutes ago, Hodgman said:
1 hour ago, JoeJ said:

I've played BF3 and a little of BF One. None of those were comedic parodies

I seem to remember lots of subtle jokes at call of duty's expense / general fps tropes in the BF3 campaign... I didn't play BF1 but yeah the campaign did look pretty serious :(

The multi-player in BF1 looked just as silly-fun as ever though. 

Hmm, good you mention - i really talk about the single player part only (multiplayer was no fun for me - being shot by snipers, need to reload weapons, sigh... i always want to play Quake instead :) )

Looking at the trailer with multiplayer in mind, my criticism related to history is much too hard i see.

Advertisement
3 hours ago, Michael Aganier said:

The problem is not that history is not respected, the problem is that you force wrong history on me to serve something that is extremely moralising

I cannot stress enough how absurd it is the fact that you see non-white men as moralizing. Seriously. 

And even if I conceded, which I'm far from doing, that such representation is "extremely moralizing", where's your anger against the false representation of battlefield doctors? Where's your anger against the creative liberties in the Zeppelin usage during the war? 

So if I get your point right: showing super human, inaccurate white male immortal heroes -> not moralizing, perfect, the way the world is meant to be. Show anybody else doing similarly fantastic things -> moralizing, ridiculous agenda, those horrible people must be stopped. 

The series started with realistic diversity because the game was designed like that. And suddenly, excessive diversity is forced into it. It is forced because it doesn't make sense to be there. Now, making sense refers to historical accuracy, but historical accuracy is not the problem

Why it doesn't make sense? Could you explain what makes sense in Battlefield, or CoD?

It's not that alone that makes it moralising, it's the combination of the multiple factors that leads into it. 

Multiple? Really? Like what?

6 hours ago, Gnollrunner said:

In any case the only thing that matters is if the game makes money. It's a business.

I don't really agree with this. Companies need to think in their long term financial health, and public opinion matters a great deal in sustainable sales. Games are become more popular, which means a wider range of people will want to play them and it benefits no one that they don't buy games because the established user base is rabid about it. When the Nintendo Wii went against common sense and made a 'everyone can join' console, it was a massive hit. It makes financial sense to be inclusive and that new players feel welcome to the hobby, not shunned. 

6 minutes ago, Thiago Monteiro said:

I don't really agree with this. Companies need to think in their long term financial health, and public opinion matters a great deal in sustainable sales. 

But what segment of the public?  If you disenfranchise more customers than you gain, that's not a good business strategy.  If you loose some old customers and gain a whole lot more, you're golden....... To me the trailer looked laughable, like a cyborg woman in WWII, but I'm not the target audience so if it works, I'm fine with it. On the other hand there seems to be this unspoken reasoning that if sales are poor, it's the customers fault for having the wrong ideas.

I didn't think it was a good trailer either and I'm disapointed by the hostility towards a fellow gamedev who only shares his point of view. Most of you guys didn't bother reading anything Michael Aganier said. You're taking his words out of context and making him say things he never said.

5 minutes ago, Gnollrunner said:

But what segment of the public?  If you disenfranchise more customers than you gain, that's not a good business strategy

True, problem is neither you nor I have enough information to accurately say which segment is that. It's very easy to mix vocal with high number, especially on the internet. If you look at current wealth distribution trends, it makes no sense to market media only to young white males.

To give examples, again take the Nintendo Wii strategy, which payed off big time. Look also here https://www.forbes.com/sites/bridgetbrennan/2017/01/31/why-has-womens-economic-power-surged-five-stats-you-need-to-know/#37110cff9562 and here http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2018/modern-day-women-the-powerhouse-that-invests-engages-and-influences.html and here http://www.catalyst.org/knowledge/buying-power-women-us. Women have more buying power, are using more media, buying more electronic devices. Besides that, they are an increase share of the gaming market https://www.statista.com/statistics/232383/gender-split-of-us-computer-and-video-gamers/. True, they are the minority in shooters https://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19/female-gamers-by-genre/, but given the context, I'm willing to believe that it makes a great potential future market. People making public outcries because a strong woman appeared in a game does not help this cause (and it's not like they already feel very welcome play online FPS games https://aquila.usm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1429&context=honors_theses)

30 minutes ago, Thiago Monteiro said:

True, problem is neither you nor I have enough information to accurately say which segment is that. It's very easy to mix vocal with high number, especially on the internet. If you look at current wealth distribution trends, it makes no sense to market media only to young white males.

To give examples, again take the Nintendo Wii strategy, which payed off big time. Look also here https://www.forbes.com/sites/bridgetbrennan/2017/01/31/why-has-womens-economic-power-surged-five-stats-you-need-to-know/#37110cff9562 and here http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2018/modern-day-women-the-powerhouse-that-invests-engages-and-influences.html and here http://www.catalyst.org/knowledge/buying-power-women-us. Women have more buying power, are using more media, buying more electronic devices. Besides that, they are an increase share of the gaming market https://www.statista.com/statistics/232383/gender-split-of-us-computer-and-video-gamers/. True, they are the minority in shooters https://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19/female-gamers-by-genre/, but given the context, I'm willing to believe that it makes a great potential future market. People making public outcries because a strong woman appeared in a game does not help this cause (and it's not like they already feel very welcome play online FPS games https://aquila.usm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1429&context=honors_theses)

I find much of this stuff completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.  I thought we were talking about games here, not women's income.  In any case this might be relevant. Look at FPS:

genre-gender-percentages.png

13 minutes ago, Gnollrunner said:

I find much of this stuff completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.  I thought we were talking about games here, not women's income.  In any case this might be relevant

8 hours ago, Gnollrunner said:

In any case the only thing that matters is if the game makes money. It's a business.

And just how are you going to talk about business if you don't consider purchasing power? Are you giving away your games? Are they giving away their games for free with full disregard for who plays it or not? Making game is their business and those things are absolutely related.

Also, taking a single chart of the whole paragraph and pretending that this alone explain explain the whole thing is being willfully ... blind.

For your benefit, let me simplify the train of thought then: Women are somewhere between 40% to 50% of gamers. They have (increasingly more) money to spend on it. They are not spending in FPS. If they do, we gain more money. Conclusion: let's convince them to spend more money.

It makes business sense to try to get an untapped portion of the market. To do that, they need to increase the appeal to that particular segment. If they are doing this, is because their (professional, survey based) market analysis indicated that there is more profit in increasing that 7%, even if it costs them some people storming off in anger because of that. And if those people are that angry because there are more women on screen or playing, good riddance. 

11 hours ago, Michael Aganier said:

How does this change improves the game play in any way? It doesn't. I start from the affirmation that every action is motivated. If the reason for this change is not game design related, ask yourself what is that reason.

Because there are plenty of people out there who want to see a representation of themselves. It's a pretty big attracting factor for anyone who isn't a white guy.

See, you get this all the time, every day, in nearly all of your media, where the majority of protagonists are white men, with the occasional exception which, often times, comes with crap like this, which takes what could have been a nice representation and still tries to angle it for men's consumption.

It's exhausting. Playing that role all of the time as someone who isn't part of that group makes you feel a little excluded, and it's a deterrent for players (I can't get any of my friends to play shooters with me, partly because of the general aura these games give off). When you add more diverse characters, you win over these players. It's pretty simple and it's one of the reasons the only shooter I can get friends to play is Overwatch.

9 hours ago, Kavik Kang said:

What if someone made a game, or movie, or book, etc, about Shaka Zulu and the war against England.  And what if half of Shaka's warriors were white women?  The "diversity" crowd would be in an uproar over white people being put into that story.  It's really just reverse racism.  The "diversity" crowd supports putting people of color into situations where they don't belong, and then become outraged if white people are put into situations where they don't belong.

You're ignoring all of the social context and looking at the issue in a vacuum. While I'd agree with you on an even playing field, reality is different and more complex. The double standard that you're complaining about is really a false equivalence due to the environment that we live in. Replacing non-white characters with white characters for example, which is considered "white washing", is only really a problem because there's a history of systematic oppression at play that greatly increases the weight behind the action. Replacing a white character with someone else doesn't carry that same weight, so it's not as big of a deal, so people generally look past it.

Look at it this way: imagine you and a friend both have an empty bowl. Someone then fills your friends bowl more than half way with jelly beans, and fills yours with almost none. Now imagine that same someone stops and thinks, "wait, one of you doesn't have even close to enough jelly beans" and proceeds to take a few from your friend and put them in yours instead. Great! Now you have more jelly beans... except wait, now your friend is freaking the hell out because they lost a couple of jelly beans. That's more or less what's happening with this double standard - people complaining because a few of their jelly beans were taken and ignoring the fact that the other person has very few jelly beans of their own.

So why not have a little bit of sympathy for your friend and let them have a few jelly beans?

What if someone made a game, or movie, or book, etc, about Shaka Zulu and the war against England.  And what if half of Shaka's warriors were white women? 

That is a false equivalency, for many reasons. First and foremost, this looks to be character customization for online gaming. Online gaming has literally never adhered to reality except in the loosest sense of the term, unless you actually believe that the way that Kaiserschlacht is depicted in Battlefield 1 operations is gospel honest to God true reality. Online gaming is not trying to tell a story typically. Secondly, women actually did fight in WW2, along with other non-white ethnicities. What you are trying to compare to absolutely never happened. 

12 minutes ago, Mynx said:

You're ignoring all of the social context and looking at the issue in a vacuum. While I'd agree with you on an even playing field, reality is different and more complex. The double standard that you're complaining about is really a false equivalence due to the environment that we live in. Replacing non-white characters with white characters for example, which is considered "white washing", is only really a problem because there's a history of systematic oppression at play that greatly increases the weight behind the action. Replacing a white character with someone else doesn't carry that same weight, so it's not as big of a deal, so people generally look past it.

I'd also add however that we aren't really washing in the case of Battlefield V. Other ethnicities and women did fight in WW2. The British made use of colonial troops in many theaters of the war. African Americans fought in the war (Tuskegee Airmen, regiments, etc.). This isn't made up fact.

It's really just reverse racism.  The "diversity" crowd supports putting people of color into situations where they don't belong, and then become outraged if white people are put into situations where they don't belong.

Their arguments are not honest.  In reality, they just hate white people.

No, it isn't reverse racism, nor is it hatred of white people. The fact that you drew that conclusion from a trailer for a video game of all things that has some women and other ethnicities depicted in a WW2 setting is more telling than anything else. By God people, it's just a multiplayer character skin customization, like what they had in COD, what possible issue does this present? But somehow this option becomes 'hatred against white people'? There are so many unrealistic things about this game, but this one thing that affects pretty much nothing and also has historical precedence is what somehow sends you to conclude that there's some secret anti-white agenda? Have you considered that maybe it's just money at the end of the day? As @ChaosEngine stated, it's almost certainly a financial decision, not a political/creative one. 

I vaguely recall hearing similar complaining at a fever pitch over Battlefield 1's depictions as well. 

If it's the realism that bothers you, there is a ton of unrealistic stuff in Battlefield and COD including depictions of the way the war is. There is a lot in these games that is fictionalized/dramatized that also omits quite a bit of important aspects of WW2 but it's not in there anyways.

10 hours ago, Gnollrunner said:

For example if a D-Day game came out and you had to storm the beaches as a woman in a bikini, most people are going to say it's stupid, and many will vocally complain about it.

Now that sounds like quite the game :P. Jokes aside, I'm sure that those games exist for the sake of giggles. I don't think people can really complain about such a game depending on what it is. Sure Battlefield doing that would be kinda weird, but more cause it's not fitting with their thematic choices. 

4 hours ago, JoeJ said:

Ok - makes sense... i get your points, and i remember reading similar argumentation in posts on gaming sites. But there are other comments as well - up to something like 'jewish propaganda has rewritten our history books'. It's difficult to distinguish between various motivations for me.

If people perceive diversity as forced, then maybe there is something wrong with the games, but i've never experienced this my self. If you have any examples please let me know - i still don't know what you talk about exactly.

Of course we can't make every game a Star Trek game but giving people the option to be whatever they want is a central idea of gaming. Why all this crititicism on devs if all they do is giving us options?

Yea some examples would be interesting actually. I'd like to hear what people think is the 'wrong' kind of diversity beyond Battlefield V.

7 hours ago, Michael Aganier said:

The series started with realistic diversity because the game was designed like that. And suddenly, excessive diversity is forced into it. It is forced because it doesn't make sense to be there. Now, making sense refers to historical accuracy, but historical accuracy is not the problem.

The problem is not that history is not respected, the problem is that you force wrong history on me to serve something that is extremely moralising. This is where the political agenda comes from. Forced diversity is the war ship of political correctness. The moralising part comes from political correctness.

Forced Diversity > Political Correctness > Moralising > Disrespectful

For one, in the case of multiplayer skins, let's be clear here: multiplayer battles are pretty far detached from the realities of the actual battle they try to depict. The option to customize a character is moralizing? How are you so sure that this isn't just some financial decision?

And if they're depicting stories of women in WW2, or other ethnicities, both of which we know existed in history? What then?

And again, at the end of the day, it's just entertainment...amongst the many other things that they've changed for the sake of a more fun game, this doesn't make that much of a difference to the game. Again, it is purely a financial decision in all likelihood. 

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

8 hours ago, Michael Aganier said:

The series started with realistic diversity because the game was designed like that. And suddenly, excessive diversity is forced into it.

What "excessive diversity?" We've already established that there were female and non-white combatants in WWII, so surely that can't be it.

Please point to it. I'm not seeing it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement