🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Grown out of playing games

Started by
31 comments, last by wildturkey 6 years, 7 months ago
48 minutes ago, JoeJ said:

I suggest you try to do some research - working on things that are still unsolved. Personally i work on a self balancing ragdoll as a toy project and i enjoy this a lot. It's exciting and motivating. After i made some progress i get back to the boring stuff.

I suggest you try to do some research - working on things that are still unsolved. Personally i work on a self balancing ragdoll as a toy project and i enjoy this a lot. It's exciting and motivating. After i made some progress i get back to the boring stuff.

I do this as well, i create physical simulations like fluid dynamics to preserve my knowledge about math - which i forget when i dont use it for many months. And sure i enjoy this as well, but only for a short amount of time.

Advertisement

I can't relate because I'm constantly developing stuff to create games and coming up with new ideas for games in my sleep so I think it will be quite a while before I get tired of games. When I was younger I had ideas for games too but didn't have the skill nor the discipline to make them. Also had much less motivation to learn new stuff in programming so the fact that I can now turn these ideas into reality is cool. Also technology is evolving so I will likely stay gaming for a while. Already been doing it for 15 years and have only become more interested. Also games and programming have been the only interest that I have not "grown out" of.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

For me it's more like I've grown out of having tons of free time for games. I recently started making videos for my YouTube channel (about video game design), and between work, learning to make decent videos, and actually making videos, I haven't played anything just for fun for a while. It's to the point where starting an RPG worries me, because I hate being on a game for months, but there's no way around it. 

I can certainly relate to that.   I still play games, but sometimes I wonder if I'm only playing them because I enjoyed a previous entry when I was younger.

Agreed on the time required for an RPG!  Friends have chewed me out for not finishing Mass Effect 2, but honestly feel like its too demanding in terms of time and concentration.  I joke about being stuck trying to swoon Kelly on the bridge - "no matter what I say or do I just can't get anywhere with her!".  Its usually met with "Just play the ****ing game, you GOON!"  ^_^

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

If you're still in the dev space, then I still recommend playing a few modern games here and there.  This way I can keep up with the standards, give you a few ideas of your own, as well as keep you up to date on your competition.

As much as I hated doing video game testing, I learned alot about increasing my own standards for writing a good/better game.  Even though this era of gaming doesn't interest me nearly as much as the timeline marked by the beginning of Atari 2600 and the end of original Xbox, I still find it necessary to see and experience what other companies are up to.

Shogun

EDIT: Also, like Mr. Hodgman, my tastes have changed since 10+ years ago.  My steady decline in FPS games and my rise in interest of story based games like Syberia and Broken Sword as well as bullet hell and rail shooters such as Panzer Dragoon account for my recent lack of interest in this era of gaming as those types of games are made by a select few.  I also want my 2D beat em up games like Streets of Rage back!

Ah, Panzer Dragoon.  Now there is a very swanky game!  ^_^

They made another game called Crimson Dragon for the XBox One.  Never got round to playing it, but its considered a spiritual successor.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

2 hours ago, Anri said:

Ah, Panzer Dragoon.  Now there is a very swanky game! 

They made another game called Crimson Dragon for the XBox One.  Never got round to playing it, but its considered a spiritual successor.

Yeah, the first Panzer Dragoon was great and had a really high replay value.

Sadly, I can't say the same about Crimson Dragon.  I was quite disappointed as the controls were quite frustrating and doesn't live up to the hype, but of course that's my opinion.  Panzer Dragoon Orta definitely played better if you ask me.  Instead of taking my word for it, I'd rather you play it for yourself because you might actually enjoy it.

Shogun

Dude just switch it up! Play the games you never played before see if you can get interested in them. Choose your games better I like to scan reviews first dont be fooled by the trailers!

J.S.

I have mixed feelings about this, as most of the games coming out today are just copies of older games, sure some are original, but most are just rehashing what was already made and just putting a new skin or look over it.  I think Lens of Truth hits the nail on the head for me , I just do not have the time anymore to play and get into the games...

I've noticed a similar thing ago. But then I figured that it actually is not the case. It is just harder for me to commit to a new game then it was before. I often start playing something new, bear with it for like 40 minutes, and then just turn it off, because I don't feel like producing all the cognitive effort to get used to the game. Nevertheless, if I stick with the game long enough and overcome initial reluctance, I can enjoy it a lot and pour tens of hours into it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement