🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Grown out of playing games

Started by
31 comments, last by wildturkey 6 years, 7 months ago

I guess I'm sort of similar but also not at all. I definitely spend a lot of free time making games (or at least game-like demos) and very little playing them, but I can't really say I feel like I've grown out of games. When I do play games, I mostly play really old games (which are exactly the one's I'd expect to grow out of) and the occasional weird horror game.

I do spend a fair amount of time watching newer gameplay videos on the internet, which I prefer for a couple of reasons. It's a good way to appreciate the design, artwork etc. that I'd probably miss if I had to focus on actually playing the game. I'm also just not any good at playing modern games, so watching someone else play means I'll get a better sense of the pacing/story than I would by fumbling through it awkwardly.

That said, I am a bit confused by the appeal a lot of these giant open-world games that seem to be especially popular now. I feel like I typically prefer a more curated, finite experience, whether that's in terms of story/progression or the gameplay itself. A lot of open-world games don't really seem to be about anything, and I'm not convinced they're worth the time investment if there's not really any kind of payoff or development.

EDIT: And yeah, Sega Dreamcast is the most recent console I own. I've got a nearly-complete collection of classic Sonic games, though, including all of the 8-bit ones* and I play them fairly regularly.

*Up to 1999 and not including arcade games or games where Sonic isn't a playable character. Beyond that, I think I'm only missing one of the two Sonic Drift games, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Gameworld (I've got Sonic Schoolhouse, though...), and Sonic Eraser, which is definitely a thing I just found out existed.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Advertisement

As I mostly write engine, I love to search for new solutions and bugs in games to inspire, implement and omit this second. But after playing few hours I get bored, there is too much effort to get into story.

I get like that from time to time, but then I find a game that's exactly what I wanted to play and get sucked in for 300+ hours. Most recently that would be halcyon 6/paladins/shores of hazeron.

There is not fast enough delivery on new concepts and ideas and games take months or years to develop by which time they have lost all their value or original ideas and you have to pay just for the slightest things. If you ever play any free games or see something you like in a game but just for a second you know what I mean. Games are trivial nowadays and the money you pay might just be for that little kick that you then throw away and don't bother with anymore. Did I enjoy all three StarCraft II games I bought? I did get the intended kick and only after seconds of buying them. Games are meant to just fill up surface area on a shelf. If I were you I'd just make games free. I don't think it's art worth paying for. Games are needed for energy and motivation like music I think. Games are stylish meaning or conceptual exploration for forms. 

That is, I wouldn't make anything free. I think everybody can make stuff to sell. But personally after that I would rather make free stuff. I would charge if I came up with anything. But I would rather create more value and get more people to like me and get money that way by getting mysterious patrons that funnel money into you. Because expecting people to pay you is ridiculous. People that don't have money. 

I've never been much for AAA games. They all seem like bland rehashes of well tried game features with trope filled mildly interesting stories to me. But I guess that is what you get when you need to feed a hundred people, and need to make well informed choices and play it safe.

Small game studios and one/two man teams foolish enough to try new ideas are where it's at :)

I try to buy a few of those every month, to support them, and sometimes you find a gem worth spending a bunch of hours on.

I only have a few hours per week available that I could play games, not the many hours of free time I had when I was a teen.

Most of the games I play these days is not because I want to enjoy them, instead I have very specific, focused play which feels more like a study because I need to stay current and relevant. When a sufficiently important game comes out I will study it for the hours that I need in order to understand what people talk about, then move on.

I have not played games for a long time. The last game was Dead Space.

I am totally the opposide in that field. I play games a lot, even AAA ones - except for military shooters which i totally hate (COD, BF etc.), but i dont play any multiplayer or online games - just single adventure or jump and run games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Ori and the blind forest, Song of the Deep, etc. which i enjoy a lot.

Also there are few games out there which touched me emotionally very hard, like Beyond Two Souls and Life is Strange.

But when it comes to game development, its the opposite: I totally suck at it and lose motivation and get bored very easiely. Its not because i dont know how to make a game - as a matter of fact i am decent programmer with over 25 years of programming experience and made a ton of stuff, including some game-like prototypes. It just seems i still havent found my way how i can enjoy it on a constant level.

41 minutes ago, Finalspace said:

But when it comes to game development, its the opposite: I totally suck at it and lose motivation and get bored very easiely. Its not because i dont know how to make a game - as a matter of fact i am decent programmer with over 25 years of programming experience and made a ton of stuff, including some game-like prototypes. It just seems i still havent found my way how i can enjoy it on a constant level.

I suggest you try to do some research - working on things that are still unsolved. Personally i work on a self balancing ragdoll as a toy project and i enjoy this a lot. It's exciting and motivating. After i made some progress i get back to the boring stuff.

41 minutes ago, Finalspace said:

I suggest you try to do some research - working on things that are still unsolved. Personally i work on a self balancing ragdoll as a toy project and i enjoy this a lot. It's exciting and motivating. After i made some progress i get back to the boring stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement