Advertisement

Week of Awesome V - Administration Thread

Started by June 02, 2017 08:25 PM
124 comments, last by Elijah Leon 7 years, 1 month ago

As always my weapon--err--language of choice is Java with LibGDX along with a bunch of ancillary code that I've built up over the past few WoA competitions.

Between now and then I need to put together an empty project - don't want to be wasting time during crunch time fighting with any build issues!

No idea what I'm going to build but I'm looking forward to seeing the themes this year.

4 hours ago, slicer4ever said:

That's unfortunate to hear,...

It is, I feel, but so it sometimes goes. :/

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Advertisement

Alright, it seems integrating the site with gd.net is going to take longer than we'd like.  so we're going with plan B which is running the site from my home server.   I'm honestly not sure what type of load to expect and can be handled(it's running on a little rpi3).  if it seems like the site can't handle things, we will revert back to the standard way we've done things over years past.

anyway, with that out of the way, the site can be found here: https://neonlightgames.com/woa

I will also be running an rss feed throughout the contest with updates to each person's blog entry's: https://neonlightgames.com/woa/Assets/feed.rss

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
On 7/28/2017 at 11:09 PM, slicer4ever said:

we are a bit under 2 weeks away from the start of the contest, what technologys are you planning to use?

I'll use JavaScript with Pixi.js.

5 hours ago, slicer4ever said:

Interesting -- and I spy a submission form! This stirs some questions in my brain...

Can we still submit multiple times before the end of the compo and trust that the last-most submission will be the one taken?

Where are the submissions hosted after submission? (I'm not massively concerned, just curious).

Will this submission form stay responsive when everybody's using it in the last hour before the deadline? (Would hate to miss the deadline just because it's running slow. Which leads me to ask...)

Is/would it still be acceptable to just post a link here in the forum to our submission, rather than use the form?

On 7/30/2017 at 9:45 AM, dmatter said:

Interesting -- and I spy a submission form! This stirs some questions in my brain...Can we still submit multiple times before the end of the compo and trust that the last-most submission will be the one taken?

yes, i've built it so it should overwrite the last build that you submitted.  so submitting multiple builds should be A-Ok.

Where are the submissions hosted after submission? (I'm not massively concerned, just curious).

They are stored on my local drive that's hosting the site.  it'll ideally make things easier when i group package them as well.

Will this submission form stay responsive when everybody's using it in the last hour before the deadline? (Would hate to miss the deadline just because it's running slow. Which leads me to ask...)

That is something we will find out.   hopefully it'll be ok, but truthfully i have no idea what sort of load to expect it to be able to handle.

Is/would it still be acceptable to just post a link here in the forum to our submission, rather than use the form?

Yes, as the website is in a questionable state if it'll be able to handle things, this is perfectly fine.  i can manually add entry's as well.  I'd still prefer to try and submit through the site, but if it doesn't seem to be responding, then it's perfectly fine to upload and link in the comp thread and i'll take care of adding it in.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Advertisement
On 7/28/2017 at 5:09 PM, slicer4ever said:

We are a bit under 2 weeks away from the start of the contest, what technologies are you planning to use?

LÖVE has been my tool of choice for quick 2D prototypes for a while, so I'll stick with that.  It's easy to throw in some bfxr sound effects, and I'll probably record some things for foley and sound effects and muck about with them in Audacity.  Might noodle around on the piano for music if I get that far (there are also a couple of guitars, an accordion, a flute, and a trombone around, but I don't *really* play any of those).  Probably Gimp for art since I haven't gotten around to digging up an old version of Krita that runs on my integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics. But I'll leave graphics until later on in the process, so if I get around to coding the shaders I might do some simple Blender models and render them to normal-mapped sprites, since even just basic diffuse lighting always adds a nice touch.

What time zone will the contest be based on?

I want to see if I can be online when it starts.

4 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

What time zone will the contest be based on?

I want to see if I can be online when it starts.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:25 PM, slicer4ever said:

This years competition will be held from August 7th, 00:01 (EST timezone) to August 13th (23:59 EST timezone).

Hello to all my stalkers.

7 hours ago, JoshGrams said:

LÖVE has been my tool of choice for quick 2D prototypes

To my knowledge nobody has used the LÖVE framework for a WoA entry before (or even Lua in general?). I'll be interested to see what you produce with it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement