🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Space Colonization and the Future

Started by
61 comments, last by polyfrag 6 years, 11 months ago

Eventually survival is futile.

Indeed. Entropy always wins in the end. Perhaps our purpose in the universe is to delay entropy. Just think of how much time we spend cleaning things up - creating order from disorder. while we are killers and destructive as a species, the vast majority of our undertakings other than war tend to decrease entropy, not increase it - usually consuming energy in the process.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Advertisement

It's all about Need VS Cost, so we could automatically enter the space age by lowering the cost.

This could happen if we develop space age technology for earth use, as a lot of space tech will be beneficial to the people on earth.

Well the assumption is that the undeveloped world will

a): always be undeveloped

b): always be overpopulated

If either of those is not the case, then it does, to a degree, mitigate the other. Plus there's always the possibility of heavy handed population control tactics (which have been tried, but not successfully).

Survival, as I've stated, is kind of a tough one, mainly because most people just cannot think long-term and/or for the entire species. If presented with the argument that "we need to invest trillions of dollars into space colonization because we have to deal with future survival that includes the sun expanding (in billions of years, a certainty) and/or an asteroid slamming into us" I feel most people would be like "that seems utterly pointless considering the more pressing problems right now". In the future? It could happen.

In terms of resources, there is one resource that I can see being mined, and that's helium 4 (I believe it may be another one) that's needed for fusion reactors. There isn't a ton on Earth, and there's much more in abundance in space. That is the one resource reason I can see an expansion to space, mainly because even if we use robots to mine, someone's got to maintain them (as of right now), and there would be good reasons to set up more infrastructure for mining.

I can definitely believe the "because we can" argument of going to space being the most viable one. Eccentric billionaires like Elon Musk are certainly trying to push for that.

Here's another interesting reason that I think could potentially lead to space expansion (and is worth debating): alien contact. I feel like that if there was a certainty that alien sentient life existed, that would be reason enough to head out to space and expand a bit for things like trade, etc.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Why did we land on the moon? Why did Europeans colonise the Americas? Why, at the time, did humans colonise all those difficult to reach islands on Earth? Why do humans do anything?

I believe someone will, eventually. Perhaps in our lifetimes, if you follow the progress of organisations like SpaceX. There are over 7 billion people on the planet, it only takes a small fraction willing to strap themselves to rockets, and enough wealth to fund the whole enterprise.

It will probably be a combination of idealistic thing, nationalistic pride, adventure seeking madness and the desire for land / wealth. Whether any of these reasons will be justified in the short / medium and long terms is a different question.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of manufacturing starts moving into space. Its just a lot cheaper once the stuff is up there, and no need to move resources back down to the planet, just final products. Then asteroid mining doesn't just become something limited to extremely rare minerals.

I seem to recall that Jeff Bezos has espoused this future. Moving manufacturing and industry into space may allow us to make Earth a "garden world" again.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of manufacturing starts moving into space. Its just a lot cheaper once the stuff is up there, and no need to move resources back down to the planet, just final products. Then asteroid mining doesn't just become something limited to extremely rare minerals.

It is not that easy to 'move' manufacturing to space. A lot of manufacturing technology that we have developed here on Earth has to be re-engineered for all the different planets because each has its own unique properties. They work here on Earth because it using Earth's gravity and Earth's atmospheric pressure, and the fact it's oxygen you are breathing not some other gas. You'd surprised how much we take the gravity for granted. Not just us, the plants here on earth also use gravity for their roots. Other planets...not so sure.

So how do you re-engineer them? Unless you can build simulation chambers here on earth for all different planetary configurations so we can test and iterate here, you most likely have to do it over there, which means you have to transport all the tools and so on. Since technology are built on top of each other, we probably have to start almost from scratch before we can build anything like a factory.

The 'tech-tree' on Mars, and on each planet, will be different than that we have built here on Earth.

On the survival thoughts, that is fundamental to life as we know it.

All the things that are alive take active steps to remain alive. The closest thing we've got that don't are viruses. They do all the things that living objects do except that they are inert. Stick them in a box and they'll just sit there either until their molecules decay or they make contact with something that causes their proteins to activate.

Every living creature we know of takes steps to remain alive, but no others have the self-actualization thing going that humans do. We're currently the only thing we know that takes those steps of trying to remain alive farther than immediate needs for life. We take steps to plan for the future and ensure not just our life but our comfort and self-betterment Even so, when stability is threatened that individual goal of remaining alive kicks back in.

Of course there are some that are self-destructive, suicide is a thing, people and creatures with no motivation to live exist. But collectively, the nature of life is that it will take action to remain alive, to avoid extinction, even when there are major sacrifices to the creatures and death to parts of the species or group so the collective can survive.

The eventual heat death of the universe is an assured extinction point, but the nature of life is that we will take action against it.

We need to colonize outside of earth because we are alive.

Colonizing another planet is a step along the survival path. If our planet were visibly and immediately threatened, maybe scientists saw an earth-killer asteroid in progress, you'd see every economy of the world come together to ensure the species' survival.

There is no immediate threat today, but enough smart people realize we need to get off this rock at least as a backup plan. Our nearest, and most easily accessible backups are the Moon and Mars.

After that, we need another nearby star system to colonize. Then another, and another and another.

That is the nature of life as we know it: either to find a way to expand and grow, or to die. This is both on an individual scale -- and we all know we will die someday but still generally take steps like eating to prolong our life -- and on a species scale do things like reproduce and protect/educate the young. Most of us will take some action, even if small, to delay both individual death and species extinction.

Yes, eventually we as a species will be extinct. But we have intelligence enough that we can delay that eventuality. We are alive, and collectively will fight to remain alive. And that fight means expanding beyond the planet.
On an individual level, I know I'm going to die. Yet I still exercise, avoid smoking, etc to prolong my life. Why bother? Because there's a lot of cool stuff I hope to do in the next 40-50 years.

On a species level, yeah, entropy will get you in the end. Doesn't mean we can't go cruising around the universe doing cool shit for the next few million years.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
The longer we survive as a species, the more stuff we discover. Perhaps some day in a few billion years we could discover a way to survive past heat death.

The longer we survive as a species, the more stuff we discover. Perhaps some day in a few billion years we could discover a way to survive past heat death.

Plot twist: It involves burning massive amounts of coal...

As for population growth: It doesn't take long for rapid birth rates to be turned around. Great great grand father was one of 20 some kids. My grand father had 16. My dad had 3. I have none, and will be shocked if I have more than 4, surprised if I even have 2. It doesn't take much in the way of access to health care and the realization that kids are a lot of work and you could be doing other things with your life to change a growth rate from a booming positive to a near negative.

At the same time, we don't need to send millions of humans from earth to new planets. In reality a few dozen and a gene-bank are all that are needed to kickstart a healthy diverse population. Those kind of numbers are well within the realm of "Wealthy bored billionaires decide to go on an adventure" being a practical thing. Bring in robotic orbital refining and manufacturing and building a generational ship headed for another planet becomes an issue of time scale rather than economics as we know them today.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement