🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Artworks for the fantasy video game

Started by
94 comments, last by Awoken 7 years, 2 months ago

Third image in the first post immidiatly reminded me of the Blacksmith character in the Unity Blacksmith Demo for Unity 5

Yes, you're not the first who points out the similarities with Blacksmith. But actually we developed this character (btw his name is Dorpkhal the Reaper) and in his first editions he looked completely different. As for me personally, I rather would put him on one desk with Clive Barker's Cenobites than with Unity's Blacksmith )

Okay... well, I don't see the cenobites in him as his character lacks all the defining aspects save the unhealthy skin color. No mutilations, no black leather religious/butcher clothing, no SM shenigans.

While the blacksmith has similar outer appeareance, and also a very ambigious personality (granted, this was the intent with the cenobites, but the whole SM thing and overuse of the word Hell and how society treats these things morality wise kinda destroyed all the "moral ambigious" vibes Barker was going for).

Just watching the blacksmith demo makes it clear its not a good guy, while at the same time not really painting him as a monster, given the adventurers who seem to attack him in large numbers are the ones doing the attacking.

That is how this character looks. Not really evil, but not good either. Somehow godlike, removed from the mortal realm. If that was the tone you were aiming for, good job!

Of the bunch, I really like this character the most.

Advertisement

Not really evil, but not good either. Somehow godlike, removed from the mortal realm

This is exactly what he's intended to be \m/

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread

Another one female character from our game, the girl named Bolla.

8543525.jpg

What do you think?

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread

Well, I normally hate skimpy clothing... ehr, not because I don't like looking at female "curves", but because it often turns a badass character into a comical one. Hard to take that badass female character serious that constantly has to flash her butt cheeks.

But I do like this character.

1. It not cookie cutter at all, while the last female chracter kind of was. Even if the shirt was "closed", that look would still be distinct, just as a *hint* *hint* #NeedMoreBadassFemaleCharactersWithClothingOn

2. I really like how much character she has. The Facial expression really sells her as a very cheeky and bold character

3. I like the colors, they go well together. Altough, I feel the image as a whole feels kinda "muted" because of the limited color palette. Maybe its just the outlines that are also pretty close in color to the rest.

Good Job overall. I'd like her more if she would "button up her blouse", but I can live with this amount of Fan Service well enough.

Another one female character from our game, the girl named Bolla.

Really like the crazy look she has, looks like the kind of person that would laugh in the face of danger.

The way she stands and the sphere makes me think she is some kind of tribal guide.

Even if the shirt was "closed", that look would still be distinct, just as a *hint* *hint* #NeedMoreBadassFemaleCharactersWithClothingOn

The problem here is where you add a sexual characteristic to a character type that it doesn't go with. A example is is the silent soldier with a sexual characteristic added on top, it has the same effect as creating a introvert character with hundreds of friends.

I worked with a indie developer that I feel had a good view point on it: If you cant add the sexual characteristic to a male version of the character then don't use it on a female version.

Although many people complain about female armour in games you cant ignore the facts, games with skimpy clothed girls sell much better than the same games with out them. What people say on social media doesn't always reflect how they act, many of the people that will complain will never buy the game simply because its a Turn based RPG, no matter how much you adapt it to match there taste.

If her personality is that of a person driven half insane by battle and you decide to cover her, just use a cloth as a bra and do it in a way that shows she only covered herself because her companions where complaining.

My first thought was: wow, depicting a women like this after the dicussion of how the game industry displays women in games in recent years...

You should heed Gian-Reto advices, other companies took quite a beating in form of a sh*tstorms for far less (e.g. Blizzard & Tracer pose).

Another version of this girl, this time with more clothes.

8520787.jpg

Another version of this girl, this time with more clothes.

Like it!

Better than the first version. Now the messages concentrates on "Badass Female Character", without the hint of "Sexy Female Character" that, to me, didn't fitted with how I interpreted the full character.

She still looks like a tribal warrior, with a wild and bold facial expression, and enough details to make her look different and interesting.

give her maybe a more complete gear (just a spear? No shield? Side weapons? Or is she just not in full combat gear? Wouldn't she then rather just carry the shorter and more comfortable side weapon if she is in her "civilian" clothing, like a short sword or dagger?), work out that character even more (if she is a warrior in civilian clothing, maybe add hints to her "profession"... if she is a warrior princess, maybe add hints to her status. If she is thief.... I think you got the idea. Its a personal opinion, but I do like the combination of a unique character (no cookie cutter Ninja for an assasin for example), that still drops clear hints about his personality and profession with just his attire and movement)...

and shes is an easy 10/10 character.

Still, even now I give her an 8 or 9 out of 10. Well done.

And thumbs up for the quick iteration on feedback. I feel that is a very, very good way of working on your designs. If you invest that little bit of extra time with all your important characters, I can see a very strong cast of characters being designed for your game.

Gian-Reto, thank you very much for your advices! I will convey all your words to our artists very soon.

Gian-Reto, thank you very much for your advices! I will convey all your words to our artists very soon.

Please do! And I am happy to help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement