Advertisement

Future of economics, Step 2

Started by April 25, 2016 06:53 PM
5 comments, last by jpetrie 8 years, 5 months ago

Low Or No Taxes Domestically

As little as possible - and in some cases, none at all, is best. Taxes should not cause unnecessary burden.

Any requirement of additional funds would have to be generated from service fees.

Recommended Import Taxes on Non-Unique Resources/Products/Services.

The purpose of this is to present a choice to the customer based on quality and secure domestic employment. The theory is that the local customer is influenced to purchase the import only because it is of better quality, since the recommended import tax inflates the price to be near equal of the domestic resource/product/service.

The Prohibition of Any and All Lending to Any Branch of Government.

Having the public be burdened with a loan without their consent is purely unethical.

Why do you think this deserves it's own thread, versus just continuing the discussion in the original thread?

Advertisement

So... the government has next to no tax take, and they can't borrow... so they run the country with what exactly?

sounds like a recipe for disaster.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

So... the government has next to no tax take, and they can't borrow... so they run the country with what exactly?

Whips and chains, I guess?

sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Why would it be disaster?
Does the Government not tax people enough?
Government is supposed to be a non-profit organisation, right?

Edit: Why wouldn't service fees be a suitable supplement of funds?

Why would it be disaster?

Well, if the government has no money, then it can't pay for schools or hospitals or roads or police. That's without even getting into the secondary problems around faith in the currency.

Does the Government not tax people enough?

Depends on the government and the tax policy. If we're talking USA, I'd say no, not even close to enough. Or more specifically, it's not taxing the right entities enough.
People who make more money (say over 1 million a year) should be paying significantly higher taxes (higher than 50%). Not to mention all the legal tax avoidance as practiced by nearly every multinational (Apple, Google, Amazon, etc)

Do you realise how much infrastructure in the US is badly in need of repair? And I'm not talking simple things like roads, either. I mean scary shit like nuclear weapons controls that still use floppy disks (the REALLY old ones too).

Government is supposed to be a non-profit organisation, right?

I guess so. Not really sure what that has to do with anything. Just because you're non-profit doesn't mean you don't need revenue.

Edit: Why wouldn't service fees be a suitable supplement of funds?

So many problems with this.
First of all, "supplement"? To what? You've already removed tax and borrowing. Sounds like this is your main source of income.
Second, how would you administer this? What fees? Does everyone pay the same fees? Or do you charge more if you use a given service more? How are you going to determine these fees? Are you going to put tolls on every road for example? Because I can see the overhead of these fees quickly outweighing any benefits they might bring in.

Thirdly, how do you charge a fee for something you don't really use, but still kinda want. I've never had call to use the army for anything, but it still probably needs to be there.

Finally, "service fees"? Presumably, these fees would be non-optional? and paid to the government? hmmm, that sounds an awful lot like another concept..... can't quite remember what it's called, but I'm pretty sure it rhymed with fax....

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement
Right then.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement