🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Amazon Lumberyard... whats the point?

Started by
38 comments, last by Gian-Reto 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm sorry but i had to correct this, someone was wrong on the internet! Of course it most likely was a typo but it needed corrected as if we learned one thing from this thread it's that this one sentence i read is probably a good way to measure your error rate which is at least 1 per sentence, always!

There should be a comma after the word "but". The I should be capitalised. It should say "needed to be corrected" as "needed corrected" doesn't make sense. Also the sentence you are referring to is addressed both in past tense "was a typo" and present tense "this one sentence".

Probably some other stuff but, my grammar sucks. :p

Advertisement
I think this is a purely business move by Amazon. They see money in game industry, they want to tap into that. Unity is making money, UE4 is making money, hey, they have AWS which is already used by some game developers. Why not have an engine that's deeply integrated to the AWS services?

You can now do shits like notify your players accomplishments, "useful" game analytics, twitch integration, etc etc.

I can feel their marketing strategy for this engine will be very corporate and enterprisey. Their "Solutions Architect" will stand there and sell this engine like selling a new Big Data platform.

[double posted]

With Amazon Prime, you will download the updates faster, without any extra downloading fee!

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

With Amazon Prime, you will download the updates faster, without any extra downloading fee!

* selected prime updates only. Streaming only. :lol:

I think this is a purely business move by Amazon. They see money in game industry, they want to tap into that. Unity is making money, UE4 is making money, hey, they have AWS which is already used by some game developers. Why not have an engine that's deeply integrated to the AWS services?

You can now do shits like notify your players accomplishments, "useful" game analytics, twitch integration, etc etc.

I can feel their marketing strategy for this engine will be very corporate and enterprisey. Their "Solutions Architect" will stand there and sell this engine like selling a new Big Data platform.

Yes, I do get the feeling Amazon is trying to out-google Google by branching out into all businesses of the world. First start with the neighbouring, hence e-books, movies and then games.

Try to sell your own infrastructure for others to use, hence all the different Amazon cloud services.

I do question though how much know-how Amazon builds in a certain sector before they branch out into it. Seems like they bought quite some talent before branching out into games, did they do the same for branching out into engines or where they thinking that they could just use their existing people / know-how?

Who does make the decisions, bezos? Some product managers? People with real understanding of the business in question?

How much did they look into CryEngines history and street cred among developers before making an offer?

How much did they look into CryEngines history and street cred among developers before making an offer?

We don't know if they made similar offers to epic and unity and we're laughed out of the office... :lol:

It seems like a decent business move. Having the whole engine completely free (not just "free-ish") is a tempting deal, and since most indie developers will go to a third party for hosting anyway (if they even need hosting), being limited to AWS may not be a concern for a developer, especially if they haven't worked with cloud-based services before and don't have a preference.

It seems like a decent business move. Having the whole engine completely free (not just "free-ish") is a tempting deal, and since most indie developers will go to a third party for hosting anyway (if they even need hosting), being limited to AWS may not be a concern for a developer, especially if they haven't worked with cloud-based services before and don't have a preference.

I am sure there are cases where the engine fits... but for many, at least at the moment the deal is questionable.

The difference between a free and a free-ish engine sounds like a big deal, and yes, when you start rolling in the money, you could curse your decision to go with the 5% royalities engine...

So if all engines would be made the same, it MIGHT be just a case of trying to gauge if being limited in third party networking is worth it for less royalities or upfront cost.

But engines are not made the same... and CryEngine is far from the best choice ATM when it comes to engines to get small time Indies up running quickly... which is more or less the main group of people that are interested in the cheapest possible engine (of course cutting out that 500k$ (guesstimate) bill for a pro license of UE4 is going to make a difference for bigger projects, but when you pay 5 guys for engine customization anyway, that 500k$ pales in comparison to even that 5 guys salary over the course of the project. If you pick an engine that will need an additional 1-2 guys just to fill the holes because the engine toolset is stoneage or not existing, the 500k$ deal might have been better).

If Amazon can show that Lumberyard is MORE than just a CryEngine fork, and invest A LOT into making a very rough around the edges engine more accessible for studios without the funds to pay people for customizations and tools, great. More competition can only be good for everyone.

Still, it is quite telling that this surfaces just as rumours about CryTek having financial troubles come up more and more often...

I am sure there are cases where the engine fits... but for many, at least at the moment the deal is questionable.

The difference between a free and a free-ish engine sounds like a big deal, and yes, when you start rolling in the money, you could curse your decision to go with the 5% royalities engine...

So if all engines would be made the same, it MIGHT be just a case of trying to gauge if being limited in third party networking is worth it for less royalities or upfront cost.

But engines are not made the same... and CryEngine is far from the best choice ATM when it comes to engines to get small time Indies up running quickly... which is more or less the main group of people that are interested in the cheapest possible engine (of course cutting out that 500k$ (guesstimate) bill for a pro license of UE4 is going to make a difference for bigger projects, but when you pay 5 guys for engine customization anyway, that 500k$ pales in comparison to even that 5 guys salary over the course of the project. If you pick an engine that will need an additional 1-2 guys just to fill the holes because the engine toolset is stoneage or not existing, the 500k$ deal might have been better).

If Amazon can show that Lumberyard is MORE than just a CryEngine fork, and invest A LOT into making a very rough around the edges engine more accessible for studios without the funds to pay people for customizations and tools, great. More competition can only be good for everyone.

Still, it is quite telling that this surfaces just as rumours about CryTek having financial troubles come up more and more often...

I'm also wondering if it's not "less" than a fork, i mean with the new cryengine anouncements, are they still actively getting cry updates or did they fork and have to work alone past that? If the later lumber sounds like a bad deal, specially now that cryengine also is free (pay what you want, including 0, no strings attached).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement