🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Amazon Lumberyard... whats the point?

Started by
38 comments, last by Gian-Reto 8 years, 4 months ago
I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months amazon launched a relatively cheap games console as a loss leader after roping studios into porting for it. Perhaps a mid range x86 based device with a hdmi port.

They did this with Amazon fire TV stick and the amazon fire TV box, which are marketed as TV and causal gaming devices. With a game engine, some developers and a device they could start offering a games console at a quarter of the price of the xbox one and ps4, using lumberyard as incentive to studios already familiar with cryengine.

Just my own personal thoughts on the possible future...
Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months amazon launched a relatively cheap games console as a loss leader after roping studios into porting for it. Perhaps a mid range x86 based device with a hdmi port.

They did this with Amazon fire TV stick and the amazon fire TV box, which are marketed as TV and causal gaming devices. With a game engine, some developers and a device they could start offering a games console at a quarter of the price of the xbox one and ps4, using lumberyard as incentive to studios already familiar with cryengine.

Good point... question is, will a free engine be enough incentive for studios to port enough games to the console, so the game lineup might convince buyers the not-so-great hardware (just guessing here, based on other Amazon devices) is actually worth even the low price asked for it? Its a hen and eggs dilemma with every new console.

The next Ouya?

they sure found a way at Amazon to fuck it up in subtle and not-so-subtle ways

And here is my prejudice confirmed. Against better intuition, I actually downloaded this. Went into a random folder... dev\Code\Launcher\LinuxLauncher and opened a random file (Main.cpp) in an editor. Scrolled down a couple of lines. Right after the function IncreaseResourceMaxLimit you find what?

bool IncreaseSackSizeToMax()

Really, dude. Sack? Granted, you could as well call the function thingamagoop if that's what you wanted, and if people called it with that name it would work fine. But... you know, spellchecking?

What's most amazing is that the function is indeed being called from within RunGame, which means either the guy writing the function used auto-complete and blindly hit return after typing Inc without ever looking what was being inserted (as long as it gives no compiler error, all is good!), or he actually changed Stack into Sack because the compiler did show an error. I'm trying to imagine it was the first one. I'm really trying.

No seriously, I didn't spend hours looking for this... first random file I opened. So with that initial impression, I'm not going to look at another one.

Good point... question is, will a free engine be enough incentive for studios to port enough games to the console, so the game lineup might convince buyers the not-so-great hardware (just guessing here, based on other Amazon devices) is actually worth even the low price asked for it? Its a hen and eggs dilemma with every new console.

The next Ouya?

Except porting is probably close to free for all games that currently cryengine so that's a base of AAA games ready to go there.

they sure found a way at Amazon to fuck it up in subtle and not-so-subtle ways

And here is my prejudice confirmed. Against better intuition, I actually downloaded this. Went into a random folder... dev\Code\Launcher\LinuxLauncher and opened a random file (Main.cpp) in an editor. Scrolled down a couple of lines. Right after the function IncreaseResourceMaxLimit you find what?

bool IncreaseSackSizeToMax()

Really, dude. Sack? Granted, you could as well call the function thingamagoop if that's what you wanted, and if people called it with that name it would work fine. But... you know, spellchecking?

What's most amazing is that the function is indeed being called from within RunGame, which means either the guy writing the function used auto-complete and blindly hit return after typing Inc without ever looking what was being inserted (as long as it gives no compiler error, all is good!), or he actually changed Stack into Sack because the compiler did show an error. I'm trying to imagine it was the first one. I'm really trying.

No seriously, I didn't spend hours looking for this... first random file I opened. So with that initial impression, I'm not going to look at another one.

I don't really thing a typo is a method name is a good measure of code quality . . . I'd rather inrease sack size than segfault >< The end user won't really know my sack massively increased but he would notice the crash!

I don't really thing a typo is a method name is a good measure of code quality

Well, no... but it is a measure for no peer review or any such thing happening (or, if it does happen, it's a sign that the process sucks). I'm not saying that I couldn't make a spelling error myself or haven't made one (I sure have, and not just once).

But remember, this is not your private toy code that you wrote in your bedroom at 3 in the morning. It's not some messenger chat with your buddy either.
This is (or should be, by all means) production quality code published by a multi-billion dollar company that is intended to be used by thousands of developers for software that millions of people will use. If you spot a rather obvious spelling error at the first glance, what bugs that are not immediately obvious can you expect?

Incidentially, that particular function isn't part of the official API that end-users, or rather developers, are to use (you could call it an "implementation detail" of the framework, if you wish). But imagine it was part of the API, it could very well be. There's no way you can change it after making it public (no good and straightforward way, anyway).

I'm willing to concede that maybe I found the single one spelling error in these 25k source files by accident, in the first file I opened. But that's about as likely as winning the superball. I should buy a ticket.

I don't really thing a typo is a method name is a good measure of code quality

Well, no... but it is a measure for no peer review or any such thing happening (or, if it does happen, it's a sign that the process sucks). I'm not saying that I couldn't make a spelling error myself or haven't made one (I sure have, and not just once).

But remember, this is not your private toy code that you wrote in your bedroom at 3 in the morning. It's not some messenger chat with your buddy either.
This is (or should be, by all means) production quality code published by a multi-billion dollar company that is intended to be used by thousands of developers for software that millions of people will use. If you spot a rather obvious spelling error at the first glance, what bugs that are not immediately obvious can you expect?

Incidentially, that particular function isn't part of the official API that end-users, or rather developers, are to use (you could call it an "implementation detail" of the framework, if you wish). But imagine it was part of the API, it could very well be. There's no way you can change it after making it public (no good and straightforward way, anyway).

I'm willing to concede that maybe I found the single one spelling error in these 25k source files by accident, in the first file I opened. But that's about as likely as winning the superball. I should buy a ticket.

It's more like annecdotal evidence and there are plenty of ways to fix this in future versions including but not limited to breaking changes, which aren't as much of a no go as everyone makes them to be when you see new engines adding new whole mechanisms that expect to change your whole workflow a patch note saying "a one letter change is required to fix a typo in all previous projects, you will be offered to have it automatically fixed in your whole project when you next launch the editor" seems like a really minor issue

Now if it ends being that the code is littered with such issues then yea that's a bad sign, but so far it's one even if you didn't look far enough to tell if it's just 1 or thouthands.

This is (or should be, by all means) production quality code published by a multi-billion dollar company that is intended to be used by thousands of developers for software that millions of people will use.

Yes, and there may also be a language barrier. Imagine a teleconference with some broken English on one end and crytek in Nottingham on the other end, the conversation going something like:

"users have reported a segfault in certain conditions. As our official outsourcing company for this part of the engine can you fix it"
"yes we fix, we make sefaul not happen by raise sack size OK?"

Just a thought...

If you're in any doubt to if this can and does happen read the last post on this page...

This is (or should be, by all means) production quality code published by a multi-billion dollar company that is intended to be used by thousands of developers for software that millions of people will use.

Yes, and there may also be a language barrier. Imagine a teleconference with some broken English on one end and crytek in Nottingham on the other end, the conversation going something like:

"users have reported a segfault in certain conditions. As our official outsourcing company for this part of the engine can you fix it"
"yes we fix, we make sefaul not happen by raise sack size OK?"

Just a thought...

If you're in any doubt to if this can and does happen read the last post on this page...

I don't think referencing a topic on coding horror is a good way to argue that this may not be a quality control issue.

Well, no... but it is a measure for no peer review or any such thing happening (or, if it does happen, it's a sign that the process sucks).

Cry is a culture based on big egos, power cliques, and intellectual dishonesty. Don't expect peer review to exist in such an environment.

It's also extremely multilingual, so spelling mistakes in English are to ve expected. And yes, they often propagate via autocomplete.

Except porting is probably close to free for all games that currently cryengine so that's a base of AAA games ready to go there.

Yep, all those many CryEngine games :lol:
Also, porting from one version of Cry to the next ie not simple, let alone a whole different fork from 2014.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement