Advertisement

Week of Awesome III - The competition Thread

Started by August 10, 2015 04:00 AM
282 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 2 months ago
That's it folks, The week is officially over! Good job all entrants!
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

It's all over? :o

http://trydierepeat.com

Week of Awesome III

Advertisement

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/2080/entry-2261465-codemus-team-the-week-of-awesome-day-7/ ok journal for the seventh day

welp, rendering finally finished, was the Point lights that caused the issue... ill post a link in my dev POST MORD. thread.

It seems like we submitted game with our saved data. If anyone wants to play, please start the game by clicking on the "New Game" button. (Menu -> Play -> New Game)
IYP, don't show misleading information. It looks like you just posted journal and not the game.

Day 7 Epilogue

I just finished my final journal entry for The Week Of Awesome III. In few moments I will have 24 hours straight without sleeping.

It surely was an awesome week, the start was slow but the last 3 days were very productive, mainly fueled by excitement and euphoria, sleep and food was only for surviving.

Full of excitement and euphoria because in one week I accomplished something which I didn't accomplished in ~8 years of calling myself an amateur game developer. This thanks to you, GameDev.net community smile.png.

The summary of my game story and gameplay:

The game starts with our hero, the White Knight, which finds himself in a mysterious, cold world where Death seems to be missing.

On his way to the unknown our hero finds out a huge ice block with something trapped in it. If we destroy the ice block we have a big surprise, the person inside was the Death himself. Our hero’s act does not pass unnoticed and Death is offering a reward from 3 possible choices. This choices are actually a way to manipulate dynamically the gameplay difficulty:
  • easy difficulty: is the reward which grants extra 2 lives and 3 checkpoints during the level, the checkpoints are activated by killing an enemy after a certain point. The end of the level is at ~8000 position in game units, the checkpoints are at the positions: 1550, 3900, 7700
  • medium difficulty: is the reward which grants extra stamina power for the hero’s weapon and one checkpoint at game world position: 3900.
  • hard difficulty: is the reward which halves the stamina power for the weapon, removes all the checkpoints and gives a timer which our hero needs to feed by killing enemies, if the timer reaches 0 seconds, our hero will die and will return at the start of the level. In this case we can say that Death cursed our hero biggrin.png.
The reward will be activated after our hero dies. The chosen reward is not permanent, the player can choose to change the active reward by breaking again the ice block where death was found. If you have activated a checkpoint further than the ice block’s location, you can always teleport at the start of the level by pressing the R key (I discovered few moments ago that pressing R after Death was saved increase the death count by a lot )
Later on we have the chance to possibly find out how Death was trapped in an Ice Block ~mistery~

Watch the full game play:

OR

Watch awesome final boss battle and awesome ending:

I find it very interesting how human interaction and motivation affects the creative process, without this challenge contest I wouldn't come up in 100 years with the idea which I had for this challenge, I don't know if is a good one, but it makes me happy.

For the ones which had troubles finishing the challenge on time or didn't had enough time to implement their idea, don't be sad Victory means nothing. The fight is everything.

I can hardly wait to get some rest and after to take a detailed look on all others fellow challengers development journal and games.

You are awesome !

Advertisement

Gratz to everyone that have finished their game. On my side I was sick this weekent so I was not able to finish mine. I will retry next year. Tanks to slicer4ever and to all the sponsors to have made this awesome competition.

Today is going to be hard because last week was a lot of fun and I can't believe it is already over. Watching all the teams during this competition and a lot of the problems other teams had with their project were the same we did.

@ruithamus, We had the same problem with Unity. For what ever reason on my system it would take hours to render one step and there was a couple of times it took 8+ hours. I really miss my dual processor computer that used to do this stuff in its sleep. As it was we didn't get some texture packs into the build because the internet was taking a long time to upload them to our repository. Oh well this happens and our team still had a lot of fun making the game which was the main reason for this competition.

Also thank you GameDev.Net for holding this completion! The theme this year was some how on my brain for weeks before the completion started and really help us shape the game into something we would of never thought of before.

Great work everyone I will also be writing a postmortem on this experience. Now back to reality...

Head over to the afterparty thread. :)

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/670965-week-of-awesome-iii-the-afterpartyjudging-thread/

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/2105/entry-2261475-help-with-post-of-death/

Here's a gameplay guide to our game if you need help with gameplay.

~GTE

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement