Advertisement

what C++ IDE & OS do you use

Started by April 13, 2011 10:16 AM
61 comments, last by d000hg 13 years, 4 months ago
@zer0w0lf : I mean it, no joking :D
@hodgman : is it a really old one(I guess so XD)? I used some of the visual c++ epress edition, but you know, they're kinda resource hungry(dunno bout vs2008 upward though)

@zer0w0lf : I mean it, no joking :D
@hodgman : is it a really old one(I guess so XD)? I used some of the visual c++ epress edition, but you know, they're kinda resource hungry(dunno bout vs2008 upward though)

In that case, you are better off using Code::Blocks as your IDE, and telling it to use the VC++2010 Express compiler. The 2005 IDE was too much for my machine back when I had only 512mb, so I know what it's like.
Advertisement
i must say there is 1 thing i dont like about VS2010 is that for the first 2-5 minutes it is slow, but after that there is no hassles.
it needs atleast a 1GB of ram and 1.6ghz processor

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

@Daark. I downloaded it. Now onto the hassle of setting things up correctly d(T.T)b
Anyway, I'll stick to my oldie until I find the need to move on...

@Daark. I downloaded it. Now onto the hassle of setting things up correctly d(T.T)b
VC++ 6.0 was heavily broken and out of date when it was NEW, an that was 13 years ago!

MS used the bullshit excuse that it was a 'Windows Compiler' to try and hand wave away all it's faults. It didn't do many things properly, I can't remember if it came with a very broken implementation of the STL, or none at all?

You are only shooting yourself in the foot by using it. Use the new Visual C++ 2010 compiler with a different IDE, or use MingW (GCC for Windows).

MS used the bullshit excuse that it was a 'Windows Compiler' to try and hand wave away all it's faults. It didn't do many things properly, I can't remember if it came with a very broken implementation of the STL, or none at all?

It came with an incomplete, nonconforming variant of the C++ standard library, and no C++ compiler. Oh, it had a compiler it called C++, but it would not accept a lot of valid C++ source and the source it accepted was not C++. It was bizarre, considering the C++ standard was proclaimed prior to MSVC6 being released and Microsoft was a major contributor to the language standard. It was almost as if they were trying to be sneaky and trying to control the software development market through a twisted embrace-and-extend strategy, but the reality is far more mundane and consists of a lot of contract lawyers and lawsuits. I believe only the lawyers were successful.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Advertisement
Wooow you just opened my eyes...But still Im having difficulties learning to setting things up in this new environment(CodeBlox)...hmm it might take a while before I could fully take C::B as my main programming tool :(
update 5(or something)
fixes:
fixed a bug that caused voters to select from the first IDE list
added Linux derivative to the OS list
moved CPPIDE to the second IDE list
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

---edit---
fixed a English to English translation bug(in this Document)
:lol:

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Download the latest Microsoft compiler with the following download manager - Win SDK
Download the latest GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) for Windows here - TDM-GCC
Download Code:Blocks here - Code:Blocks. Don't download the MinGW one, as it includes an outdated version of GCC.

If you install the compilers to your machine before installing Code:Blocks, then the IDE should automatically detect them. Use Settings -> Compiler to pick which one you want to use :)

laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Thx zer0wolf, its really helpful ^^v

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement