🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Installing Ubuntu on external esata drive... good idea?

Started by
14 comments, last by KulSeran 13 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I've been working with SDL, and haven't quite made a working game yet, but in the process of working with this library I started downloading all the supporting libraries necessary for various effects, and I noticed that most of them were open-source, and very interesting. I downloaded several of the programs and looked at the source code, and was jealous at all these programmers had accomplished. I have never written a program that is over more than about 400 lines long. I would like to change that fact.

To get to the point, I really like reading about Linux, and I almost feel guilty when downloading the equivalent software for Windows on my machine. I feel like I'm stealing. I'm a little paranoid that downloading open-source software is somehow illegal and that a lawyer is just waiting to have me for dinner. But so far, that hasn't happened.

I feel like a spoiled brat. I have a nice new Toshiba laptop that is running Windows 7 Premium. But I want to be able to create a dual-boot rig. I read a review about my laptop on Amazon.com, and it supports an up-to-date version of Ubuntu right out of the box. When I discovered this fact, I almost shouted with joy.

Is there a way to partition an external esata hard drive and add Ubuntu to it without having any software on the hard drive at all? Please feel free to laugh. I have no idea what to do. I want to have a complete external esata hard drive devoted to Ubuntu that I can boot to by pressing f12 at my Toshiba start-up screen.

Now I have created a Windows recovery disc. But I have no back-up copy of Windows 7 per-se. This makes me very frightened.

My mother helped me pay for this laptop and I do not want to disrespect her and ruin it. But at the same time I am going to pay her back all the money she loaned me. Yadda-yadda-yadda.

Is it possible to create a partition for ubuntu within my current C drive without touching my C drive, but instead creating a partition for my external hard drive. Also, what brands of esata hard drives are the most reliable?

If it helps, I have a Toshiba l675d and it is wonderful. I wish every person would develop an interest in Linux so I would have something to talk about with my coworkers.

I am terribly sorry if I have taken up too much of your time. But I love Linux and learning how to use different operating systems.

Thanks for all the things every member here has done,

Claude
Advertisement
...Is it possible to create a partition for ubuntu within my current C drive without touching my C drive, but instead creating a partition for my external hard drive...

How often and how much will you use Ubuntu? You could just install VirtualBox and run ubuntu in there. 3D support is somewhat limited though.

Other options would be to resize your C partition and install ubuntu in the empty space (Ubuntu will install a boot loader). Or you could install ubuntu to the external and change the BIOS to boot from external before internal HDD if it's connected.
I heard Ubuntu erases the Windows boot loader and you can no longer load windows. That's what I'm worried about.
If you dual-boot the system, the following happens:

• Linux will (usually) shrink the Windows partition to make room for itself.
  • Linux will create a new partition for itself in the newly reclaimed space.
  • Linux will install itself on the new partition.
  • Linux will overwrite the bootloader with a linux bootloader. It will give you the option of which OS to boot into when you start the machine.
    Notes:

• You CAN reinstall the windows bootloader. It's usually one of the recovery features on the windows disk. (This assumes of course that you actually possess the windows install disk. Many computers don't come with a shiny new one).
    • You CAN entirely delete linux off the partition and delete the partition itself. However, getting the windows partition back to its original size might be error prone. It can be done with tools like PartitionMagic or QTParted, but seems risky to me.
    • Linux will recognize and read/write to the windows partition, but windows will not even recognize the linux partition (and why would it?). That is to say, you will not see another drive letter show up in My Computer.
    • You CAN install linux on a thumbdrive and boot off that (if your BIOS will allow a USB boot).
    • You CAN install linux on an entirely separate harddrive. That's a good idea.
    • You CAN try a live CD version, although it will be slow.
    • You CAN install linux on an old frankenstein computer built from scraps that nobody loves anymore
    • There are other distros besides Ubuntu that specialize in loading onto thumbdrives, for instance. Do some research if that's what you want.
    • Installing linux through a virtual machine (like VMware) inside of the existing windows installation is probably the safest and most easily removed option.

I heard Ubuntu erases the Windows boot loader and you can no longer load windows. That's what I'm worried about.

na you should be able to install Ubuntu on the same hard drive as Windows. Also in the same partition, though I would not recommend that. But see if you can resize your Windows partition, and install Ubuntu on the free space. You can always boot up Ubuntu directly from the live disc, without altering any files on your computer. If you just want to try it out before you install any thing. if you have a 4 or 8 gig USB pen, you can install ubuntu to that, and run it from there.

Any ways, first step is to get the live cd, and try it out :)

I almost feel guilty when downloading the equivalent software for Windows on my machine. I feel like I'm stealing. I'm a little paranoid that downloading open-source software is somehow illegal and that a lawyer is just waiting to have me for dinner. But so far, that hasn't happened
Why do you feel guilty for downloading open source? After I switched to Ubuntu, I pretty much still use the same programs: NetBeans, Google Chrome, VLC, Blender, Dropbox, Skype, OpenOffice etc.. Just because you use Ubuntu doesn't mean you have to use open source, and just because you use Windows doesn't mean you have to use programs that cost enough to make some dude the richest guy in the world (I know he doesn't have that title any more, but you get the point).
Thanks for all the replies!

I think I will try the virtualbox just to be safe.

leiavoia, thanks for all the information. It's good to know I can install on an external hard drive. That's what I'll probably end up doing, because I love all the stuff you can do with linux, and I think the pipe command (|)
is wicked-cool.

VildNinja, thanks for the advice, but I do think that grub, the program that installs the boot loader, will overwrite my windows booter. And I don't have a new copy of windows directly on a CD. Windows is so lame sometimes :(.
YES! If you have a new, blank, external eSATA drive, you can just format it and install Ubuntu on to it without touching your C: drive. Heck, even if it's not new or blank, you can still do it. You will want to pay close attention at two points during the installation: (1) when asked to partition your drives, pay attention and (2) when asked about installing boot loaders, do not install one to your C: drive.

The confusing thing is it may have weird names for your drives (C: is a DOS idea, and Ubuntu is POSIX not DOS).

You should then be able to boot Ubuntu from your eSATA drive at the F12 menu without fear of harming your Windows installation at all.

When you are more comfortable, you can install the GRUB bootloader on your C: drive so you no longer have to use the F12 key at boot. You will be presented with a menu every time you boot, and you can have it default to Windows if that's your heart's desire.

Oh, and don't feel guilt about using Free software. We want you to. that's why we made it free.

If you have trouble, there are some very friendly forums at ubuntu.com. They will guide you through any difficulties. It's all free. You might want to go there before going any further.

Welcome to Ubuntu. Relax and enjoy.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

VildNinja, thanks for the advice, but I do think that grub, the program that installs the boot loader, will overwrite my windows booter.

Yes and no. Grub will replace the Windows bootloader in the MBR, but it will then use a technique known as 'chain loading' to run the Windows bootloader from within grub. Net result, you will still be able to boot Windows, even though the Windows bootloader is not present in the MBR.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Moreover, if you're really not happy seeing GRUB starting windows, you can do it in reverse, using Windows' bootloader to load the linux bootloader. (Use EasyBCD for this.)
I've found that Partition Manager is a nice free for home-use partition tool that you can use to resize your Windows partition without loosing any of your data. You can use this to make some room on your existing drive safely.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement