🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

buying a new case?

Started by
4 comments, last by Luckless 16 years, 2 months ago
I want to buy a new case to start my new build project, and was hopping you guys could give me a couple pointers on what to look for and what to avoid... thanks.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
Advertisement
I'm personally into compact cases. Any of the recent shuttle xpc models are a great investment, I love them since I can bring them with me on a plane in case I need to go somewhere and have all the necessary firepower with me. Just make sure you get a graphics card that is really safe in terms of temperatures because despite advanced cooling techniques, the insides of the case still get pretty hot. I'm having a bit of a nasty experience with my 8800gt atm, but they're well known for being serious heat producers.
Well, the question is what do you want to use your case for?

I strongly suggest buying a case and powersupply separately (unless getting a case that comes with a reliable PSU anyway)

I have an Antec P180, and love it. It is a little large (ok, very large) and rather heavy but it is a sweet case. Quiet, cool, and the best part is there are two removable dust filters behind covers on the front. I have yet to had to clean my case.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote: Original post by Talroth
Well, the question is what do you want to use your case for?

I strongly suggest buying a case and powersupply separately (unless getting a case that comes with a reliable PSU anyway)

I have an Antec P180, and love it. It is a little large (ok, very large) and rather heavy but it is a sweet case. Quiet, cool, and the best part is there are two removable dust filters behind covers on the front. I have yet to had to clean my case.

Yup!
I 2nd the recommendation for a P180 if you want quiet.
I run 2 raptor drives in my main machine using a P180 and can barely hear it when it is on.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
get Antec P180, highly recommend
The Antec P180 does have it share of flaws.

1. It is heavy! The case alone before I put any of my parts in weighed in at nearly as much as the old Compaq it was replacing.

2. It is HUGE. While actually one of its advantages, a case this large isn't for everyone.

3. Price, it is a little steep for what is really nothing more than a glorified box, but damn, what a glorified box it is!

The biggest things I would look for when shopping for another computer case:
1. Solid construction. Steel or milled aluminum frame.
2. Dust screen/filters This simple little feature over the front air intakes make so much difference in keeping my system running well.

Also keep in mind what you want your system to LOOK like, your box is art if you want it to be. My art just happens to be black and shiny, and very unassuming.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement