🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Shopping for a new Mac desktop (iMac?)

Started by
30 comments, last by speciesUnknown 16 years, 4 months ago
Hey all, With my MacBook Pro in the repair shop again (it seems cursed somehow) I'm starting to get vexed that I can't run the Mac OS software I've collected this year. I'm considering buying a Mac desktop in the New Year so I won't be Macless if the laptop breaks down again. This was something I had planned to do in 2008 anyway, just not necessarily this early. Unfortunately I'm not an ultra-wizard at hardware like some here; I'm planning to do some research over the Christmas break (in lieu of not being able to learn Flash on my laptop [headshake]), but I'd like to discuss the options with the more hardware and Mac savvy GameDevvers here. Here's a shortlist of what I'm looking for in a desktop:
  • It needs to run Mac OS X (Tiger or Leopard). This basically means I need a Mac Mini, iMac or Mac Pro.
  • I'll be using the computer for number of different activities:
    • writing documents, papers and my dissertation
    • working with art software; Inkscape, Adobe Creative Suite 3 (Illustrator, Flash)
    • hobby game development (Flash, Xcode)
    • composing music (Logic Express)
    • media station (watching DVDs)
    • playing games, although not as important as the other activities
  • It will need to be a significant upgrade from my current desktop, which frankly isn't too hard: it's an Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8Ghz), 1 GB memory, Radeon 9700 Pro running Win XP.
  • I'll most likely need a new monitor; my 17" CRT is about eight years old now and is showing its age. I'm not sure what size I should replace it with; most monitors these days seem huge to me.
  • Since this is replacing my Win XP desktop, I'll need to be able to run my Windows software. This is mainly the games; the productivity software I use is nearly all open source and thus cross platform, or there's an easy to get Mac equivalent.
I'm limited to Mac, this means I'm looking at a Mac Mini, iMac or Mac Pro. I'm thinking the iMac is probably the best fit; the Mac Pro looks real nice but is real pricey, and the Mac Mini is a bit underpowered and I'll need a new monitor anyway. I'm a bit concerned about the whole "all-in-one" model; the smaller form factor will be a big asset on my crowded desk, but I'm a bit worried that if something breaks down it could cause a lot of damage (chalk it up to my MacBook Pro experience induced paranoia). The main thing I'm not sure about is what specs I should be looking at. I'm not sure whether I need a 24" screen over 20", for example. Or how much memory I should be gunning for - most models seem to come with 1 GB, but it might be prudent to go for 2 GB. I'm also not sure what's the best way to get Windows software running on an iMac. I'd really like to be able to run all the stuff I can currently run on my current Win XP desktop if possible. I'm planning on doing more research myself in the Christmas break, when I'll have time to analyse the options, but I'd like to hear any advice you have. This would be the first Mac desktop I've bought and I'm not sure of the best options available to me. Thanks!
Advertisement
iMac, 20". Fastest CPU and smallest amount of RAM you can get, then upgrade the RAM on your own. For the price difference between the 20- and 24-inch, you can buy another monitor (or, in my case, contribute to the Wacom Cintiq 12WX fund).

Yeah, I'm looking forward to January, too. [smile]
Quote: Original post by Oluseyi
iMac, 20". Fastest CPU and smallest amount of RAM you can get, then upgrade the RAM on your own. For the price difference between the 20- and 24-inch, you can buy another monitor (or, in my case, contribute to the Wacom Cintiq 12WX fund).

Good point about the monitor. Looking in the catalog I see that the price difference is A$450, which is indeed enough to get a second monitor (although I'm not sure I've got the desk space; it's pretty tight as is!).

I've seen many people recommend buying RAM elsewhere, but I'm a bit wary about doing the upgrade myself. The last time I upgraded memory using a new stick I got as a Christmas present I ended up frying my motherboard (I also learnt that Canberra doesn't really "open" until the second week of January; good luck finding a open computer store on January 3!).

Does it make a big difference between Apple's memory prices and what you can get elsewhere?

Quote: Yeah, I'm looking forward to January, too. [smile]

Eh, it has it's downsides for me. I've got a thesis dissertation to write (which I'm currently procrastinating on, trading time in January for December [smile]).

There's a huge price difference between Apple's RAM and standard computer-store RAM. It's about double, last time I checked.

The iMac RAM installation is easier than it's ever been; if you can put a cartridge into an NES you're probably overqualified to upgrade the RAM in the new machines.

I'd hold off on machine purchases until the next Macworld (MWSF; Jan 14-18)
Quote: Original post by Ravuya
I'd hold off on machine purchases until the next Macworld (MWSF; Jan 14-18)

Cool. Is there any expected announcements for iMacs? I thought they were in the middle of their lifetime, so it wasn't likely to be upgraded soon. However I'm pretty new to all things Mac so I'm not certain what the upgrade cycle is like.

A good friend of mine just purchased the 24" iMac. Absolutely gorgeous.
As for the upgrade cycle ... there would be no harm in waiting. I don't think they are due for an update, but you never know with Apple.
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
Cool. Is there any expected announcements for iMacs? I thought they were in the middle of their lifetime, so it wasn't likely to be upgraded soon. However I'm pretty new to all things Mac so I'm not certain what the upgrade cycle is like.
I strongly doubt there will be an upgrade; however, it's possible that a new hardware line may be introduced, or price cuts made.

I presume you know all about the educational discounts and the like, so I'm not gonna waste space talking about them.
Cool. Is there any expected announcements for iMacs? I thought they were in the middle of their lifetime, so it wasn't likely to be upgraded soon.

There might be a speed bump, at the same prices (dropping the prices on the older revisions before phasing them out). It's worth the wait.

Quote: However I'm pretty new to all things Mac so I'm not certain what the upgrade cycle is like.

Speed bumps come a couple times a year. Full line refreshes come about every three years.
To add to this discussion we were having last year:

I've been skimming through some other forums on opinions on the iMac, and it seems there's a consensus that the quality of the display on the current 20" iMac isn't as good as the 24". I haven't yet had a close look at the models in the store to compare myself, but for those of you who have iMacs - is this an accurate opinion and worth taking into consideration?

My current gut reaction is that even if the quality is slightly worse it's still better to get a smaller iMac and a second screen rather than a single 24" model. The 24" iMac just seems stupidly large to me and I don't think it's appropriate for the way I set up my desk.

I'm still waiting for MacWorld before I make any final decisions, of course.
To add to this discussion we were having last year:

I've been skimming through some other forums on opinions on the iMac, and it seems there's a consensus that the quality of the display on the current 20" iMac isn't as good as the 24". I haven't yet had a close look at the models in the store to compare myself, but for those of you who have iMacs - is this an accurate opinion and worth taking into consideration?

My current gut reaction is that even if the quality is slightly worse it's still better to get a smaller iMac and a second screen rather than a single 24" model. The 24" iMac just seems stupidly large to me and I don't think it's appropriate for the way I set up my desk.

I'm still waiting for MacWorld before I make any final decisions, of course.

The 20" uses a TN panel, the 24" uses an S-IPS panel making the 24" a far superior screen where colour accuracy is important, though not as good as a non-glossy screen. 20" might be fine for you if you aren't needing colour accuracy and the lower viewing angle is suitable for you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement