Advertisement

New monitor, older computer - is it worth it?

Started by April 22, 2007 03:17 PM
11 comments, last by frob 17 years, 4 months ago
Is it possible to have them black bars instead of stretching the image onto a widescreen for *all* games? I don't think that I would mind the bars, but I would certainly mind stretching.
For most NVIDIA chips, you can go into the control panel and set the scaling behavior to not stretch. After that, set the game to a 4:3 format (such as 1024x768) and be happy.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Advertisement
I'm a bit late on the thread, but my 2c.

I absolutely *love* my dual-head machine with a 20.1" wide-screen monitor ($340). The second monitor is rotated 90', in a portrait orientation rather than landscape.

Even with all the toolbars, output window, and other garbage open in Visual Studio, the thing still has enough room for 80 lines + 90 cols of text in the main source code editing window. That particular monitor also has composite and s-video input, and picture in picture for those which is great when debugging.

A few of us on the team have plugged the composite channel to our devkits so we can see the game console right next to the code in the Picture-In-Picture that the monitor supports. It covers up the little VS properties window that nobody really uses anyway, so you just know it was made by game developers. [grin]

Ever since my company bought these for our team, I've been dying to buy one for my home.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement