Advertisement

The First 1 Terabyte Hard Drive

Started by January 05, 2007 09:59 PM
23 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years, 6 months ago
Class of 1999 These robots have more then teaching on mind!

I don't recall seeing this movie.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
How long will it take to format that hard drive? My 80 gb hard drive takes forever!
Advertisement
Backing up physical media is totally legit. My 500 CDs come to about 45 GB when ripped as VBR 1 MP3 files; they'd be more like 200 GB if uncompressed. Then we have DVDs, at 5 or 9 GB per instance. You can only get 100 dual-layer DVDs on a 1 TB drive -- I know people who own a lot more than 100 DVDs (although I personally don't own that many).

And, once you have the backup on low-latency media, you'll start using that as your playback source, and treat the original optical media as the back-up, because hard drives are a lot more convenient.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote: Original post by hplus0603
Backing up physical media is totally legit. My 500 CDs come to about 45 GB when ripped as VBR 1 MP3 files; they'd be more like 200 GB if uncompressed. Then we have DVDs, at 5 or 9 GB per instance. You can only get 100 dual-layer DVDs on a 1 TB drive -- I know people who own a lot more than 100 DVDs (although I personally don't own that many).

And, once you have the backup on low-latency media, you'll start using that as your playback source, and treat the original optical media as the back-up, because hard drives are a lot more convenient.

You'll find out really quick that 500GB ain't nothing if you are thinking of copying all your dvd's to your hardrive so you don't have to keep switching dvd's in/out of pc and risk scratching them. Since I ran out of space I went the dvd to mpeg4 conversion route but the loss of quality is noticeable so I'll have to put up with it or go back to swapping dvd's.
I think only something like this would do the trick!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Currently I have a Linux box with about 500 MB of RAID 1 backed storage, split on 4 spindles (I love LVM and the MD driver!) using it for DivX movies, photos, MP3 collection etc. Once I start ripping for real, I'll have to stick some more spindles in that box. Sadly, it's a desktop case that doesn't fit more spindles, so I might have to get a new case. Might as well make it a totally new machine :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement