Advertisement

The First 1 Terabyte Hard Drive

Started by January 05, 2007 09:59 PM
23 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years, 6 months ago
Did Hatachi make that animation of the new hard drive technology, or was that another company? I just remember they personified various parts.
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
Quote: Original post by LilBudyWizer
Personally, I tend to not be impressed by ever greater capacities for hard drives. It seems to mainly allow packrats to accumulate ever greater quantities of worthless junk. Oh boy, 250 hours of my favorite HDTV shows or 2k hours of regular TV programming. There has to be a better way, as a society, than 500k people recording General Hospital every day. I'm more interested in where things like Comcasts OnDemand and Straz Vongo go.

There is certainly a place for such drives, but they don't really allow dramatic new applications. The 1050Mb/s max data rate is impressive, but it doesn't allow applications routinely accessing gigabytes of data. At best it would take you ten seconds to access a GB and more likely 15-20 seconds. A 1TB drive doesn't perform much better than a 160GB or 250GB drive and four 250GB drives can completely blow a single 1TB drive out of the water. I would like to see innovation that actually increased performance. I would like to see innovations like multiple heads per platter arrayed around the drive so that a single drive can perform like multiple drives today.

I agree. Drives that can actaully push the transfer limitations of existing technologies, like SATA and SATA2 would be great. Considering anything but a 10-15k RPM drive can't come close to saturating the SATA bus bandwidth, its quite annoying.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Advertisement
Data is a gas, it expands to fill its container.

I've given up on thinking that any hard drive will ever be "enough".

/Just purchased 4x400gb drives this morning
//and a NAS
///Gonna RAID5 them
////I had a hard drive crash this morning, lost a lot of (thankfully replacable, though very difficult in some instances) stuff.
/////Decided to go with a final solution for backing stuff up.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Why RAID-5 with a NAS? Just to limit the lost space to 25%? I assume you connect across a network so performance doesn't seem a valid reason. What are you putting on it that isn't already on another drive? Why do you need to lose any space on the NAS for redundancy if it's already redundant to start with?

PS: What NAS did you get and how much did it cost?
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
I read somewhere that they are planning a 100TB disk for 2010
I doubt 100TB. The current generation of technology should be good up to about 10TB then it hits physical limits due to the fact that you're using magnets. They might push a bit past 10TB with the next generation of technology, but that's, most likely, pretty much the end of the road for hard drives. I'm inclined to think that 10-20 years down the road we'll view hard drives are a quant reminder of the past like we now view floppy drives.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by LilBudyWizer
There is certainly a place for such drives, but they don't really allow dramatic new applications. The 1050Mb/s max data rate is impressive, but it doesn't allow applications routinely accessing gigabytes of data. At best it would take you ten seconds to access a GB and more likely 15-20 seconds. A 1TB drive doesn't perform much better than a 160GB or 250GB drive and four 250GB drives can completely blow a single 1TB drive out of the water. I would like to see innovation that actually increased performance. I would like to see innovations like multiple heads per platter arrayed around the drive so that a single drive can perform like multiple drives today.

QFT. It annoys me that the second article says these drives are "aimed at high end gamers and high performance desktop PC users" because there's nothing particularly high performance about them. The only thing they offer is higher information density, and vs a gamer running an actual "high performance" drive it won't make the cut.

Do the writers just make up this stuff? Don't answer that; I already know the answer.

I'd rather see drives with higher RPM (I'm aware of the physical limit) or more heads. Capacity really isn't that impressive anymore, and mostly just useful for backups.
Ra
I assume the "high performance" part is due to the 1050Mb/s max data rate.
There is a lot of data in need of storage you normally don't think at. There's a lot of nonsense on the market right now with every thingy having it's own HDD ( consoles and DVRs to name a few). All those hard drives store same type of data, the price of each device gets a huge hike because of the HDD and if it happens for you to accidentally drop/kick/play football with it the HDD is highly likely to cease it's normal functioning.
Makes more sense to me to store everything on a huge HDD and 'download' stuff from it as needed.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Anybody remember the movie "Class of 1999" with Malcolm McDowell etc ? They had these cyborgs with memory of "1 million megabytes".

It always makes me laugh to hear that "advertisement". It must have sounded really hi-tech in the early 90's :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement