Advertisement

terminating program when another program terminates - window manager help

Started by May 05, 2006 08:00 PM
3 comments, last by guywithknife 18 years, 4 months ago
Ok, so I installed fluxbox and configured it nicely the way I want it with keyboard shortcuts and all and everything is running nicely. I installed iDesk, so that I can add a couple of desktop icons to some frequently used programs and thats where the problems start. iDesk itself was easy to configure and is running smoothly. The problem is when I try to exit fluxbox, iDesk stays running, stopping me from being dropped back into gdm. Is there any way I can make iDesk terminate when fluxbox terminates? Or how do you guys do this? If necessary, I'll live without iDesk, but it would be nice to have. Thanks in advance!
Why don't you just manually kill the process when you're exitting out of fluxbox? You can make a small shell script to execute this pretty easily. I don't use fluxbox (nor any window manager, for that matter), but I can write it in pseudocode pretty easily (note that you should substitute real commands for what I'm guessing on).
#!/bin/bashps aux | grep iDesk | awk {'print $2'} | xargs killexit fluxbox

That segment of code, if saved to something like exitflux.sh can easily be run with the command 'bash exitflux.sh' (or even easier, you could add it to your PATH and just type 'exitflush' (the .sh isn't really necessary in the file name, just good for organizational stuff).
Advertisement
The fluxbox documentation has an example of an .xinitrc configuration that seems to be similar to what you want. I don't know whether gdm runs the user's .xinitrc though. If it doesn't, you could look up the script file gdm uses to start fluxbox and edit that instead.

Alternatively you can just hit ctrl+alt+backspace to kill the X server and have gdm spawn a new one.
Quote: Original post by 255
The fluxbox documentation has an example of an .xinitrc configuration that seems to be similar to what you want. I don't know whether gdm runs the user's .xinitrc though. If it doesn't, you could look up the script file gdm uses to start fluxbox and edit that instead.

Alternatively you can just hit ctrl+alt+backspace to kill the X server and have gdm spawn a new one.

Oh, I thought that his problem was that when killing x, iDesk remained a running process; however, now that I read this I see that he wasn't killing x, he was just killing fluxbox. What a silly error to miss.
Thanks for the help!

It turns out there was an error in my fluxbox configuration.. I only realised it when the above methods didn't help, even though idesk was now terminating and when i stopped running idesk completely and it still wouldn't drop me back into GDM, even though it did before. Deleting the fluxbox configuration directory seems to have fixed it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement