Advertisement

Fedora Core Moniter problem

Started by September 27, 2005 03:32 PM
2 comments, last by Halsafar 18 years, 11 months ago
Well it seems with every distro I install I solve one problem and create another. As many who visit these forums know I have been encountering a rather terrible soundcard problem with K/Ubuntu. So after hours of labor I finally got the Fedora Core 4 installation to boot properly and got it installed. Now Fedora understands my moniter is a Acerview 56e, but what it doesn't understand is how big the moniter actually is. The screen constraints on width are about 1.5inches from actualy edges and the moniter settings won't let me resize it more.
wellcome to the wonderful world of linux. from what i understand you're running your fedora in graphics mode (most likely kde). i think (i surely can be wrong) your problem should be solved by adjusting the monitor display not the operating system itself.

different drivers often cause this problem. with one resolution under ms windows everything appears to be fine but under other os screen is resized. well, i haven't found any sollution to this but to set the monitor manually everytime i switch the os.

i suggest installing video card drivers but do not be surpriced if that doesn't help much

good luck with linux

peter
Advertisement
As a OS which is bragged about I so far no use for it but as a shelled server, anything its GUI can do can be done better by Windows in most cases. Lastly, its about as user friendly the plunger.

Anyway, I have had this problem with WinXp but I don't remember the solution, its been so long since I've reformatted my Xp partition that I have no clue how I fixed it... So fixing it in Linux is prolly goona be a lot harder.

I found a solution...

Knowing my WinXp OS literally saves the moniter settings, so I can adjust the size, position, etc outside windows and windows will restore them during its session.

So in Linux, Fedora Core 4 -- I just told the system that my moniter is of generic type "1024x768" and now it works fine.

I got a fullsized screen properly centered for both Windows and Linux.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement