Advertisement

SuSE

Started by February 11, 2005 04:00 PM
24 comments, last by sakky 19 years, 7 months ago
You can change which server YOU looks for. There should be a dropdown menu to select one.

You can probably find more detailed information at http://slforums.typo3-factory.net/index.php?
Go to YaST. Software > Change Source of Installation.

And post what you have there.
Advertisement
Then what? What am I suppose to add for additional sources? Why doesn't the book say anything about this? Why would they add an online update system with the OS when it isn't even online because its looking on my harddrive? This doesn't make any sence why would you put you users through so much hell just to get there system updated. I can bearly surf the web too. I can come to gamedev and a few other sites. I can't even go to google or suse's main site any more. Man this is pissing me off! Why won't this damn thing work like its suppose to. I shouldn't be having so many problems with something that is so simple. I mean come on, I can do this in a few easy steps with Windows why the hell is it so hard for Linux to update it's self? I'm having nothing but problems trying to use my sound card, KDE keeps crashing and I can berarly use the internet. This is why I stay on the Windows installation most of the time because I know that operating system works and I don't have tons of probelms with it. Add by the way, I've formated my harddrive several times and reinstalled windows and it still uses the internet connection with out having to add a user name and password. I never had a probelm with it until I tried to get Linux to work. Now it seams that I can bearly use my computer. I would like to use Linux, but I'm getting tired of all the hastle just to use simple featurs of it. If this is the problems I run into then I shall just hrough away that damn book and forget Linux ever existed. ARGH!
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
I should start putting this in my sig.

Linux: Awesome OS, but get a linux geek to install it for you.
YOU -- Yast Online Update -- should work out of the box. You don't need to do anything to update your system but go to YaST. Software -> Online Update, it should pop up a list of places to get security patches for your software.

If you want to install new software you must tell it where to look. What version of SUSe are you running?

You will experience problems using Linux.
Well, sorry guys I don't mean to act all snotty and pissy. I'm just a litte frusterated with how this thing is going.

I'm using SuSE 9.1 Pro. YOU tells me that it can not find the list or mirror servers to update the system. I need to have YaST install my NVIDIA driver becaue I tried it and it SaX2 kicked out an error when it tried to startup. So I must be doing something wrong, so I need to get YaST to do it for me.

By the way, I'm a geek too. I'm just not that good at Linux, I've work with MS OSs all my life. Well, except for the Trash-80.
Advertisement
See, I don't want to give up on Linux! I know its been really frustrating for me at first but I will eventually learn it. I know I'm having problems with using the internet and getting the system updated, but all that will come in time I hope. I've noticed that all though I can't really browse the internet I can browse GameDev. I haven't tried other sites, but what I've notices is that Linux really starts cooking once it's going. It took me 5 hours to get most of the settings set right. Yes, 5 hours. It took me so long because I had lots of trouble deciding how I wanted KDE to look. Between all the effects and stuff, how is a guy suppose to figure out what he wants in less ime then that.

Any ways, I just need to get the system updated and get the NVIDIA driver installed. After this I need to work out the network problem. Lucky for me I remember most of this stuff once I work with it. I used wallpaper I found off the net that I used on WindowsXP including WindowsXP's wallpaper for KDE. So Linux doesn't look so alien to me anymore, but it has my style now too!

I've been trying to search SuSE's web site but I've had several problems connecting. Once I'm connected I don't know where to go so it makes it even more harder for me to find the mirror servers to update my Linux.

On a side note, once I get Linux running like a champ (or even now) I was wanting to take a screenshot of it. Can I use my computer in a link to the image? For example, I wanted to show you guys what my desktop looks like. I take a snap shot of it and save it somewhere it can be accessed via my Linux server or public_html. Then I include my computers IP in the destination with the URL to the image. Would this work? Just as long as Linux was running and my computer is hooked up to the LAN, correct?
Of course you can run a webserver to serve images—it will work while your computer is online if you are running a webserver (like Apache), if your IP stays the same, and if you are not behind a router or firewall that blocks (or simply fails to forward) port 80.

If you want to make a habit of serving web content from your computer, you may want to look into a dynamic domain name service like that offered by DynDNS.org, and a client (I use ddclient).
You know something, you just may have gave the answer to my problem with the internet! I've been getting lots of error from Konqueror that it can't connect to Google, SuSE and lots more. The error message is:

An error occurred while loading http://www.google.com:

Timeout on server
Connection was to www.google.com at port 80

I'm going through Qwest DSL that (from what I can remember) uses a firewall and router. I remember seeing the router when I refresh my connection with WindowsXP. I think the DSL has a firewall, but I'm not sure. I know that SP2 does and so does SuSE. I think I disabled the firwall on SuSE thou, but I'm not sure.

If this is the problem then this means I hae to use an alternative port to browse the internet, that is all-correct?
No, no. You can definitely connect to port 80 on remote hosts. If, however, you want to serve up images, then remote clients must be able to connect to port 80 on your computer—very different. Turn your firewall back on and keep troubleshooting. [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement