Advertisement

what kind of distro doesn't come with the linux kernel source?

Started by June 27, 2004 12:06 AM
20 comments, last by daviangel 20 years, 3 months ago
i just bougth SuSe linux from the store, and i installed it. I looked in the usr/src directory, but no linux folder!!!!! kind of strange, isn't sources SUPPOSEd to be included? its not that big of a deal, but it is kind of strange.. and GCC isn't included either what the heck... Confused, Ciph
I eat heart attacks
They don't have to provide the source along with each and every copy, they just have to make it available to you on demand (like, download from their web site).
It is also possible that the source is on another CD.

The absence of gcc is more troubling, as your system cannot be considered functional without a compiler.

If you do have other CDs, check them out. Otherwise, well, since you bought it, you are entitled to tech support (after all, that's really what you bought).
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
I would say a system can be functional without a compiler, take Windows, but for the types who go for Linux, its very very useful.

As for the OP, best bet is that there are other packages (kernel-source*.rpm, gcc*.rpm) somewhere in the CD(s) you bought that will have what you're after.

(SuSe uses rpm, right?)
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Quote: Original post by Cipher3D
i just bougth SuSe linux from the store, and i installed it.

I looked in the usr/src directory, but no linux folder!!!!!

kind of strange, isn't sources SUPPOSEd to be included? its not that big of a deal, but it is kind of strange..

and GCC isn't included either

what the heck...

Confused,
Ciph

That is odd. In witch case, I would reccomend moving to Gentoo Linux. Believe me, you'll definately have GCC and the kernel source by the end of the process. ;)
Quote: Original post by MikeMJH
That is odd. In witch case, I would reccomend moving to Gentoo Linux. Believe me, you'll definately have GCC and the kernel source by the end of the process. ;)

Which amounts to saying "Install Gentoo." Not entirely helpful...
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Quote: Original post by Fruny
They don't have to provide the source along with each and every copy, they just have to make it available to you on demand (like, download from their web site).
It is also possible that the source is on another CD.

The absence of gcc is more troubling, as your system cannot be considered functional without a compiler.

If you do have other CDs, check them out. Otherwise, well, since you bought it, you are entitled to tech support (after all, that's really what you bought).

That's correct and you can obtain the kernel source from suse ftp site if you bought suse personal which it sounds like you bought. I can tell you that the professional edition comes with an 2 entire dvd's that only contain source code. 1 for 32bit suse and another for 64bit version. I guess that's part of the reason I had to shell out $80 for my box set of suse pro 9.1.

Package Descriptions SUSE LINUX 9.1 Professional
kernel-source
The Linux kernel sources
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Doc
Quote: Original post by MikeMJH

Which amounts to saying "Install Gentoo." Not entirely helpful...

well if this don't help
<a href="http://forums.the-myos.net/index.php?showtopic=33>easiest way to install sources if you are using suse personal instead of pro and pretty pictures to boot!
then there is no hope for you and might as well go back to windows...
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Use yast or whatever to install the kernel source package and the gcc package.

nuff said.
Just because it isn't installed by default, doesn't mean it isn't on the CD.
Most of the distros I installed have an option somehwere in the installing program to include the sources or not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement