Advertisement

what kind of distro doesn't come with the linux kernel source?

Started by June 27, 2004 12:06 AM
20 comments, last by daviangel 20 years, 3 months ago
I use SuSE. When you install it you have to tell it what you want installed at the selection screen.

The source RPMs are on a seperate disk, I never bought the distro so I can't tell you if it comes with it. You need to find a SuSE FTP mirror and go into the directory on the server and locate the SRPM directory and download the stuff. There is a utility that comes with SuSE that will let you automatically download packages and stuff you just click the 'source' button and it will get the source for the package too.

You can load GCC into your system, find the package utility in the system folder on the X menu and than find GCC and click the install button.

[SNIP]
Quote: Original post by daviangel
Quote: Original post by Doc
Quote: Original post by MikeMJH
That is odd. In witch case, I would reccomend moving to Gentoo Linux. Believe me, you'll definately have GCC and the kernel source by the end of the process. ;)

Which amounts to saying "Install Gentoo." Not entirely helpful...

well if this don't help
easiest way to install sources if you are using suse personal instead of pro and pretty pictures to boot!
then there is no hope for you and might as well go back to windows...

hey why the hell was my "helpful" link edited?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by C-Junkie
Use yast or whatever to install the kernel source package and the gcc package.

nuff said.

yast is your friend or apt-get if u are debian...
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
It's also not hard to go to www.kernel.org and download whatever kernel you choose :P
yeah i know its not a problem, but it is really strange, i was expecting GCC and GNU make and everything.

Yast doesn't have it either, really odd.

i guess i'll just download it.

....and GNU make is part of GCC right? (i hope)
I eat heart attacks
Quote: Original post by Cipher3D
....and GNU make is part of GCC right? (i hope)

No. It's a separate program.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
ah gotcha. i'll download make and then compile gcc. wooppee.

also, i find it really funny the make program tells me to make itself with make.
I eat heart attacks
Quote: Original post by Cipher3D
also, i find it really funny the make program tells me to make itself with make.

Boostrapping can be a tricky process. If I were you, I would double-check if I can get it all from a package (SuSE does use RPMs, right?).
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
no, SuSE personal doesn't come with make, because it assumes people who buy personal are too stupid to mess around with sources.
I eat heart attacks
okey dokey i found a site with all the binaries...except which tools do i need? I just need a core development package...

i've gotten autoconf, automake, make, gcc...
I eat heart attacks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement