Advertisement

package manager?

Started by December 29, 2003 11:29 AM
6 comments, last by vboyx 20 years, 8 months ago
I''ve got Core Linux installed, and I need a way to keep up with packages i''ve installed. I really like portage, so is there a way to install it on my system? If not, what other package managers could I use? /*Shawn*/
Please specify which flavor of Linux you are using. Portage (and emerge) is a nice thing, but it is also only a Gentoo Linux thing. Debian uses fx apt-get, whereas Red Hat and Mandrake use RPMs. Some of the packaging systems are ported to different flavors of Linux, but it''s always smartest to go with the native implementations.
Advertisement
See here if you want to run portage on a non-gentoo system. I''ve heard of apt ported to other distributions, but never tried using it.
hmm, thanks sbennett. I''ll try that.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Please specify which flavor of Linux you are using. Portage (and emerge) is a nice thing, but it is also only a Gentoo Linux thing. Debian uses fx apt-get, whereas Red Hat and Mandrake use RPMs. Some of the packaging systems are ported to different flavors of Linux, but it''s always smartest to go with the native implementations.

Wrong, portage is nothing more than a bunch of perl scripts and one or two executable files that you can install on most Core Distros.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator & WebMaster GuLSE]
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote: Original post by vboyx
I''ve got Core Linux installed, and
I need a way to keep up with packages
i''ve installed. I really like portage,
so is there a way to install it on my
system? If not, what other package
managers could I use?
/*Shawn*/

Actually, the real question is what kind of packages do you want to use?

.tgz: slapt-get or swarret will do the trick
.tar.gz: just use your browser and get .tar.gz source packages from anywhere.
.rpms: apt-rpm will do the trick
.deb: the debian apt-get system will do the trick but you have to make sure that your system is capable of handling files according to the debian way of doing things.

There are others that I didn''t mention because they aren''t mature enough and only have like 10 packages which you probably already have installed on your machine. ( They are part of any core Linux OS )

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator & WebMaster GuLSE]
[Cyberdrek | ]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Cyberdrek
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Please specify which flavor of Linux you are using. Portage (and emerge) is a nice thing, but it is also only a Gentoo Linux thing. Debian uses fx apt-get, whereas Red Hat and Mandrake use RPMs. Some of the packaging systems are ported to different flavors of Linux, but it's always smartest to go with the native implementations.

Wrong, portage is nothing more than a bunch of perl scripts and one or two executable files that you can install on most Core Distros.
Python, actually. Portage-NG will be written in C or C++.

[edited by - ze_jackal on January 3, 2004 11:16:46 PM]
I wouldn''t advise putting portage on a non-gentoo system without an official port. Could get messy.

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement