Advertisement

How do I make this shell script

Started by October 20, 2003 07:51 AM
10 comments, last by clum 20 years, 10 months ago
quote: Original post by Cyberdrek
Then again, Python and Ruby are just as good as perl, just a powerfull if not more( in the case of Ruby that is ).
Ugh... maybe, but I still like Perl better for admin and automation scripts. A matter of taste I guess.
quote: And there are times when writing a small shell script can be usefull. Especially on old version of Unix where you didn''t have perl installed.
Of course, true. I hope I never have to see such a box
quote: Ugh... maybe, but I still like Perl better for admin and automation scripts. A matter of taste I guess.
Even I agree with that, and I''m a pretty big Python zealot. This sort of thing is exactly the purpose for which Perl was written. The unix shell stuff is just barely too weak for this task. Now, I don''t remember enough Perl to give you a Perl script that does this, but I''m sure someone could.

quote: Especially on old version of Unix where you didn''t have perl installed. Say like the SunOS box at my old work. The admin didn''t install perl on it as it was only supposed to be a mail server. When I had to code for it, the closest thing to a scripting language I had was shell. Nothing else. So it is still useful.
The solution to that is to install perl. Make it clear to the boss why: "I can write this in 20 minutes in Perl, or 5 hours in shell. Installing perl will take 10 minutes. The Perl script will run faster than the shell. Every Unix admin in the western hemisphere knows Perl. Perl is free. Can I install Perl?"
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement