Advertisement

Best Linux Distro for Programming?

Started by September 06, 2003 12:52 PM
29 comments, last by HTML 21 years ago
quite simple: just don't tell the installer to overwrite you windows-partition ;-) => i.e. you are asked about a root partition - DON'T select hda1 (and hda2.. if you have more than one windows partition). the boot-loader itself gets installed later, you just need to click 'yes'.
if the boot-loader gets installed incorrectly (and you can't boot windows anymore): boot from the win98 cd and type fdisk /mbr or boot from the win2k/xp cd - enter the repair console and type fixmbr.

if you are used to visual studio: be sure to check kdevelop out.

[edited by - __tunjin__ on September 6, 2003 5:20:58 PM]
If you are interested in high performance computing and have a intel cpu is the best distro suse 8.1. This is the most uptodate distro supported by intel for their tools vtune and icc.
The íntel site has lots of presentations and tutorials about performance computing.
Advertisement
I am kind of stuck now...because I can''t download Mandrake , or the latest Knoppix since my the other computer isnt working yet. also, i have a linux partition that isnt working, thats why i cant download it on this computer that is running knoppix and the windows part of it isnt working because i am not using the same mobo/hardware....

so the only thing i could do is to get the partition working, and install knoppix w/ dual boot to 98se. i made a 512mb partion for linux boot, a 20 gig partition (maybe it was 10) for the linux''s hd and a 100mb swap. then there is a windows partition that is 20 or 30 gig.

here is the error i get when i try to access my main linux partiton from knoppix cd.

"Could not mount device.

The reported error was:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on dev/hdc2,
or too many mounted file systems."

plz help not sure why my partitions dont work. i think i have to mount but how do i do that when i dont have a working os ?
quote: Original post by HTML
Right now I am using Knoppix and was wondering what the best distro was( fastest stable and easiest to install, plenty of programs for programming, like text editors, g++, paint programs, and website programs and more..i couldnt install gentoo for the linux newb i am.) Soo, redhat? knoppix on hd? mandrake, suse, or debian? any other suggestions? I also wanted to dual boot this with 98se since i am a gammer too, and for other things you cant do on linux..

Debian is the way to go.

quote:
Also (srry its off topic) but what is a good cd copier program for linux?

There are many options... you can use the command line cdrecord, or you can use gnome''s Nautilus, or K3B...

Victor.

c[_]~~
thanks. I will probably try debian when i get better w/ linux, but for now im going to just try to install either knoppix or mandrake. whatever downloads first, but does anyone know why i get that mounting error posted on my last post? and i tried putting knoppix on the hd and nothing happened even though i finish it and it says it installed correctly....
As for your booting problems make sure your boot partition is below the first 1024 cylnders (I think it is)... This general information should be splatered all about your install info. ... other than that not sure and just guessing

Gnome vs KDE vs Gnome vs KDE... it''s a holy war and one not worth the bandwidth. I always start with kde and usually end up with gnome. *shrug*

I think I vote mandrake as a good newbie friendly distro, or for those who just want to use linux and not mess with the details all that much.

text editors... emacs or vim... you''ll find them both just about everywhere and they are both really kick arse editors.

Keep in mind basicaly all programs work for all distros. .. all the distro is is someone''s packaged setup.. it''s still linux.... basically.
pain program = (the) gimp.
3d program = pov && blender (there is a nice(?) 3d modler for pov in kde)
website program = quanta (kde)

luck.
Advertisement
How do i check to see if its 1024 cylinders? i cant access partition magic because my windows partition is messed up because im not on the original computer with this hd i am using to do all this with...
Start with Mandrake. Mandrake is nice for learning, because it takes care of most of the details and installs an assload of programs for you to play with, but it can get a little awkward to reconfigure. If after you get used to linux you want to experiment with it more, I strongly recomend Gentoo. They have a very nice tutorial on their site about setting up a linux system completely from scratch, and their portage system makes it easy to install new programs without searching for dependencies. The only downside is that if you have a slow internet connection or slow computer, it can take a long time to download and compile all of the software, but you can get a completely customized system.

It doesn''t matter much whether you choose gnome or kde. Kde may be more similar to the way windows is set up. I recomend that you install both. It is easy to switch between the two. If you are used to using a nice IDE for programming, you should check out KDevelop.
This may be a dumb question, but did you format the partition after you created it? If knoppix doesn''t have any special tools for it, you have to mke2fs or mkreiserfs or something similar.
The best linux distro u can get and use is Redhat, it has all the programming tools and utilities that come with the other distro(s)..But it comes with many other tools and programms that may be very useful in programming that don''t come with the other distro(s), It''s installation is easy and it dual boot and it''s the widest acceptance among users and hardware and software providers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement