🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Defect Reports v0.2

Started by
89 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 10 months ago
quote: Original post by d000hg
Now you''ve changed the calling convention to _cdelc (or whatever it is) The BotGen generates broken code - we have to add the _cdelc specifier to the virtual methods update(), init() and so on in the bot class header file. It only takes a few seconds to fix but I fear qute a few people would have no experience of this (like me who just realised the base class didn''t match the derived one).

I don''t know what you are talking about.. I just downloaded it from the site, generated a test bot, and it gives me good code.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
Maybe it''s my version of the compiler. My default calling convention is the same as the one you''re using but it won''t compile unless I add the _cdecl keyword to my function declaration in the class definition for my bot. I know at least one other person mentioned this, all the project needs is to add that to the 3 (I think) virtual functions defined in each new bot. Can anyone else back me up on this?
quote: Original post by d000hg
Maybe it''s my version of the compiler. My default calling convention is the same as the one you''re using but it won''t compile unless I add the _cdecl keyword to my function declaration in the class definition for my bot. I know at least one other person mentioned this, all the project needs is to add that to the 3 (I think) virtual functions defined in each new bot. Can anyone else back me up on this?

I didn''t compile it.. I checked the source code of the generated bot. It''s there.

Admin for GameDev.net.

One other slight bug, that you may or may not want to fix. Once the game is over and the last frame is frozen, the bot code continues to be called. The only reason I noticed it was through my debug window. I can''t really see any problems it would generate anyway.
It makes debugging more tricky - though I guess you just stop logging data after your health reaches 0?
just fyi and wondering whether this is as it should be: grenades exploding on the other side of a large rock result in as much damage as a grenade at a bot''s feet. so hiding behind a large rock doesn''t help to avoid grenade damage.

also, i think the time between grenade throws, or the time it takes for a grenade to go off, should be reduced in order to even up the two different types of weapons. about the only use i''ve found for grenades is if the other bot gets stuck.

even if the other bot is hiding, so my bot gets an accurate throw to at it, the grenades are easily avoided. so i''ve had to make my bot switch back to the gun, basically using the grenade as a flush-out weapon, and once again the match ends up being a rather boring fire fight.

i''ve also tried to use them as a deterrent against bots that like to move in quickly, constantly firing as they go, but the time to explosion is so long that even if my bot throws the grenade directly down at its feet while moving backwards, the other bot is still able to move forward fast enough to allude the explosion. i''ve also tried to have my bot throw the grenade in front of it, assuming the bot behind is chasing at the fast speed rate, but there are so many obstacles in such a small arena that this rarely has a chance of success.
you can steer the smarter (ones that avoid grenades) by throwing the grenades near them to scare them off, or out of trees or into a better line of fire.
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
I am not sure this has been posted (not really wanting to read through X pages) but GameDev arena sucks CPU like there is no tommorrow. 99% CPU suckage 100% of the time.

Throw a
Sleep(1) 
in there, somewhere there...next to the purple wombat.
Line-Of-Sight is broken. The bot can see/detect the enemy bot straight through a tree. This happens when the enemy bot is in the absolute left periphery of the FOV (-40 degrees).

[How To Ask Questions|STL Programmer''s Guide|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|C++ Reference|MSDN]
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.[How To Ask Questions|STL Programmer's Guide|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|C++ Reference|MSDN]
quote: Original post by Programmer One
I am not sure this has been posted (not really wanting to read through X pages) but GameDev arena sucks CPU like there is no tommorrow. 99% CPU suckage 100% of the time.

Throw a
Sleep(1)  
in there, somewhere there...next to the purple wombat.

FYI, Sleep(1) does not change the CPU usage. Plus, given the nature of the program, CPU usage is not an issue.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement