🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My bot ! [Was : All bots so far...]

Started by
62 comments, last by ToohrVyk 20 years, 10 months ago

quote:
Hmm.. perhaps a slower movement when firing or weapon kick back would be a good addition?

yeah, sure, why not...

these bots are supposed to be good, can''t expect everything to be toned down just cause you can''t win
Advertisement

I dont like version 1.8, it gets me 50% of the time but it also gets lost a lot and fires randomly

I need to get my predictions working ASAP

There is a slight weapon kickback on the gun (0.2 seconds I think), and a 2 second delay on the grenades. Part of this beta process is gameplay balancing, so if we need to tweak values, we will.

I'm liking this so far, though.. this is cool. Wait until the next update when the LOS functionality is actually working (i.e. hide behind trees)...

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote:
I''m liking this so far, though.. this is cool. Wait until the next update when the LOS functionality is actually working (i.e. hide behind trees)...

actually my bot does that already (hides behind trees), thats how devious gets lost so often
I''ll wait until the next API to release Devious 2.0 : Vicious... with a whole new strategy I''m experimenting right now (95% wins against woodbot, 100% wins against leftie... need your bot to test it though)

Just three words :
watch... your... back...

ToohrVyk

95% against woodbot...
looks like I should start writing another bot ;-)
Woodbot : when you lose sight of the enemy, don''t turn around like that... usually, he''s just gone behind a tree or something. So don''t start looking everywhere... Or at least wait for a few seconds before it.

ToohrVyk

g_pCore->Taunt("Wuhahhaahaha");
MessageBox( 0,0,0,0 );
g_pCore->TurnRight( TURN_SLOW );
MessageBox( 0,0,0,0 );
g_pCore->Strafe( STRAFE_LEFT );
MessageBox( 0,0,0,0 );
g_pCore->SetSpeed( SET_HIGH_SPEED );
MessageBox( 0,0,0,0 );
g_pCore->Fire();
MessageBox( 0,0,0,0 );
g_pCore->Fire();
MessageBox( 0,0,0,0 );
g_pCore->Fire();
MessageBox( 0,0,0,0 );
g_pCore->Fire();
MessageBox( 0,0,0,0 );
g_pCore->Fire();
MessageBox( 0,0,0,0 );

.lick

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on August 5, 2003 5:12:42 PM]
For woodbot, yeah atleast move when you turn (dont stand still). I just pop out, fire and then hide again. I am also getting high kills against woodbot.

Your bot 'Devious' is bothering me though. It gets about 50-60% kills against my bot. If it hits first then it will most likely kill me, if I hit first then I will most likely kill it. Right now 80% of the fight depends on who gets the first shot...

I think the problem mine has is the lack of predicting (can't get the damn thing to work) and the fact that it doesn't use 'nades anymore (they didn't do much).

btw, what is so special in 2.0? and can you possibly share how your predicting works. Currently I am just doing the basic vector additions (tried triangle math before) but they are always off (30 degrees at most).

[edited by - particleG on August 5, 2003 5:21:22 PM]
particleG : for the prediction. I simply compute the angular velocity of the other robot (you may substract your own angular velocity to get the real one). If it stays constant (approximately) over a few frames, then it's moving at this regular pace.

Simply aim and shoot at the location EnemyAngle + AngleSpeed * Distance / ShotSpeed.

I'm using ShotSpeed = 80.0f because it gives nice results, but you might find something else...

EDIT: as for my bot, well, it will use a technique similar to yours : hiding in spots that the enemy can't see, and regularily pop out and shoot, then move back in before it reacts. But it'll be in a fun and innovative way.

ToohrVyk

[edited by - ToohrVyk on August 5, 2003 5:27:44 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement