🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Questions about GDArena

Started by
59 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 10 months ago
HappyDude- I posted the right/left angle thing in the bugs forum. It is probably a bug, but there is no way to know what the function was really intended to do until Kevin replies.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Xgkkp
How many updates do grenades exist for? And are the speeds in the other post correct? What are the various speeds? (Like, so we know how long we have to turn for to turn 180 degrees and stuff)

[edited by - Xgkkp on August 2, 2003 7:27:29 PM]

It''s not based on updates.. it''s based on seconds. 8 seconds to be exact.

As I said, you won''t know how fast the turn speeds or walk speeds are. Just like when you play a first person shooter, you don''t know exactly how fast you are moving. You just know that you are moving.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by HappyDude
You don''t get the absolute x,y coordinates either... you''ll just have to store them relative to your start point (i.e. you start at 0,0). This makes it hard to know when you''ve reached the map boundary.

Exactly. I said in the beginning this thing would not be easy.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
could you make the taunt font, hahaha it rhymes, bigger and in something like courier, perhaps last longer too? its hard to use for debugging as it is right now.

This is addressed in the defect thread..

Also try maximizing your window...

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
HappyDude- I posted the right/left angle thing in the bugs forum. It is probably a bug, but there is no way to know what the function was really intended to do until Kevin replies.

I think it is a defect.. it''s just going to take me longer than a few minutes to figure out what''s going on.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Has anyone got any tips on how to avoid the walls? ie..make sure ur not moving intothem all the time..
quote: Original post by ACAC
Has anyone got any tips on how to avoid the walls? ie..make sure ur not moving intothem all the time..

almost all of the time if you have no objects in your view then you are facing a wall. simply fast rotate until you see an object and then start moving towards it. i''m currently using a zig-zag pattern to help locate things (kind of like constantly turning your head.)

also, for those "disappointed" about the lack of input to the bots, re: absolute locations, pos/neg angles, etc., you might try googling for the terms "dead reckoning" and triangulation.
Dead reckoning would require us to know how fast we''re travelling in game units and how much we''ve turned in degrees. Is this information available? Being able to know you''re in a wall is very useful else you''re calculations will be screwed. Otherwise your AI is reduced to spinning round looking for a target, followed by a brief gun-battle rather than a stealthy game of hide ''n'' seek. Aren''t we supposed to be able to see what direction the other bot is facing/moving?
quote: Original post by d000hg
Dead reckoning would require us to know how fast we''re travelling in game units and how much we''ve turned in degrees. Is this information available? Being able to know you''re in a wall is very useful else you''re calculations will be screwed. Otherwise your AI is reduced to spinning round looking for a target, followed by a brief gun-battle rather than a stealthy game of hide ''n'' seek. Aren''t we supposed to be able to see what direction the other bot is facing/moving?

We''re told the direction the other bot is facing through the objDirection output of the GetObjectsInSight method. As for the angles and speeds, testing seems to show values of normal-forward-movement moving at ~0.444units/cycle, fast moving at ~0.888units/cycle, reverse at ~0.555, and rotation moving 2 and 4 degrees for slow and fast respectively. However, in the bot movement thread KHawk said these values are wrong...
Well some actual values would be nice Khawk - there''s enough limatations without having to guess. And since someone could hack the .exe and find out anyway... I''m not objecting to limited information but what there is could be accurate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement