🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

White screen bug?

Started by
1 comment, last by Impossible 20 years, 11 months ago
A lot of people are getting the white screen bug, including myself. My work machine''s graphics card is worthless (ATI Rage XL), so I''ll try it again at home, but do you think it could have something to do with OpenGL drivers? (assuming you''re using OpenGL.) To me it looks like the graphics aren''t being initialized period.
Advertisement
Some of the patterns I''ve been noticing is that the the offending machine is running Windows XP. Sometimes the graphics card is fairly good too (Geforce 4). I don''t know, maybe half of the problem is that it''s initializing Direct3D in the default desktop video mode, which might be say 24 or 32 bits deep. But the 3D card only supports rendering in 16 bits (like the Intel 82810 3D AGP), so it fails to initialize correctly.
I had this same problem (I posted before saying it happened on my p4/gf4), but I have just reinstalled windows xp and now it works fine.

Its a bit odd, as I have basically just reinstalled exactly what I had on my machine before, same drivers, same directx sdk etc.

Alan
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement