🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 5 months ago
quote: Original post by Mihail121
As i can see it appears that the contest will start a lot l8r than 1st of August cause there are pretty much things to do.Ah heck i just hope it''ll starts .I don''t think that changing the map environment dynamicaly will be a good idea.Althought there is sence is doing stuff like moving platforms,fans,grinders and such.What will be the bot actually is a question that consirnes me.I suggest that the bot will just be a struct with name,2 ints for position,heading parameters and some other little stuff.Also is their a movement techiniqe you require or will we be free to choose our own(besides the waypoints there is also ray-casting and such).Well hope it will be fun.Nice idea about that taunting.But 20 chars are a not much.I suggest 64 that will be much better.10x for reading!

The app is already done. The only thing left is further testing and documentation so everyone knows how to program their bots. The reason I limited it to 20 is because the text actually appears above the bot, and anything more than 20 clutters the view.

You''ll see how everything works. There will be some issues I''m sure, but I don''t anticipate anything very serious. Like I said, it''s going to be a tough one, but it should be fun. The bots are very programmable and you can literally do anything you want with them in terms of strategy and tactics. It''s just a matter of coming up with the algorithms to do what you want within the constraints of the API and arena.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
quote: Original post by BlueChip
Yep.. that is a wonderful idea.
Is it as TERRARUIM (by Microsoft)?

I enjoyed myself for many time with my silly creature...

It''s a similar concept, yes.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by kieren_j
Just to warn you -- better make sure the engine will run on 99% of systems -- at least with a compatibility mode.
Few weeks ago I, along with thousands of others, downloaded the BBC''s year-in-development FightBox game, only to find it sprinkled with bugs.
It seems unfair that if it doesn''t work on some systems, others might get more time in development.....

-K

Yes, I''m very aware of that, and I''m hoping it will be compatible with most, if not all systems. There will also be a standard way to submit defects and problems. I''m aware of some random defects occurring on certain systems, but it''s very random and only affects testing (sometimes it crashes). It certainly doesn''t prevent the bot from being developed. I haven''t had any problems on any of the systems I have personally tested on (10 different ones).

Admin for GameDev.net.

I think it would add an extra level of strategy if the bots could only carry two weapons and you have decied which ones from a list of possibles in your source code. Instead of giving every bot all 10 weapons to use.
quote: Original post by Voice Of Tango
quote: Original post by Khawk
quote: Original post by MindWipe
Will the bot''s be able to say stuff (or send out messages).

Like when DrunkBot has annihilated someone he could go: I''ll have a drink to that!
Yes. For fun, the bots can taunt (limited to 20 characters). It turns out that it''s a pretty good debugging tool as well.
What about expletives? For instance, would TangoBot be allowed to say "Bitch mutha fucka!!!" (exactly fits the 20 character limit) when a direct hit to his person interrupts his wild Tango across the arena?

Heh, there are no filters.

In the final exe that will be used for the tournament, I hope to have some sort of movie format output so everyone can view the results of the battles. That will really make the taunts worthwhile.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Sounds fun, I''m probably gonna join.
*flips 4E the bird*

Check out my raytracer at http://simp-raytracer.sourceforge.net. Download it at http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/simp-raytracer.
quote: Original post by liquidAir
Wow! Sounds interesting. I''m basically new to this. I just feel like trying it out, Artificial Intelligence.

Well, just a suggestion, I don''t really know anything bout this, but could there be hand-to-hand combat. Like say both bots run out of ammunition (quite unlikely) but I think it''s possible or one of the bots is a die-hard or something.

And might there be any more info for beginners?

Nothing is Impossible

That is worth considering, although I tried to make it so it''s difficult for both bots to run out of ammunition. If it turns out to be an issue, then I''ll definitely do something about it.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
I think it would add an extra level of strategy if the bots could only carry two weapons and you have decied which ones from a list of possibles in your source code. Instead of giving every bot all 10 weapons to use.

The bots don't have 10 weapons. I haven't said how many they have - right now there's a fixed amount, but I like the idea of future contests having more weapons with a selection at intialization. There are restrictions on the weapons they have as well: firing rates and gun switching rates, not to mention other variables in firing weapons that will certainly make it difficult.. so there is certainly some strategy in weapon firing.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Wow, this contest is going to kick some serious ass! I can''t wait to get started on EbolaBot
quote:
Judging
- In the event an odd nmber of entries is received, one bot will receive a bye in the first round. The bot will be chosen automatically as being the final bot remaining when pairins are drawn.

I don''t really understand this. Explain in simple terms. What''s a bye?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement