🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 5 months ago
Will the bot''s be able to say stuff (or send out messages).

Like when DrunkBot has annihilated someone he could go: I''ll have a drink to that!

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Mihail121
So if your planing to show us the way of the arena creation than we will be able to build waypoints for the bots.But you are making the things EXTREMELY INTRESTING and cool here.It appears that if the weapons don''t have a set appear position and they are spawned randomly we will have to modify the type of the waypoints on the fly.TOTAL GENIOUS guys.As i said-the best contest ever!

P.S.
If it''s not too rude i suggest the starting date to be 1st of August

I like what you''re thinking, except the weapons won''t be spawning. I think the main thing you''ll need waypoints about will be obstructions. The only thing that spawns during the 5 minutes is an ammo reload box, so whoever gets to it first will have full ammo, and after that it disappears.

You will still need to modify your waypoints on the fly. Obstructions are generated and placed randomly, and the bots are placed on opposite sides of the map, randomly. The ground is actually randomly generated, but it doesn''t have much bearing on anything other than adding a sense of depth since the view is fixed. There are a few concerns I have right now regarding the dynamics and bot field of view (as in, will it work or not), but I decided to leave it as it is now and see how things went. If those concerns turn out to be serious issues, then I''ll fix them. You may see what I''m talking about when the contest launches.

I considered having weapons spawn, but I decided against implementing that for a first version. For this first version, I wanted things to be fairly simple, yet still challenging, and I hope that''s been accomplished. Weapon spawning is definitely worth considering in the future, though.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by MindWipe

Like when DrunkBot has annihilated someone he could go: I''ll have a drink to that!

/MindWipe

Yes. For fun, the bots can taunt (limited to 20 characters). It turns out that it''s a pretty good debugging tool as well.

Admin for GameDev.net.

As i can see it appears that the contest will start a lot l8r than 1st of August cause there are pretty much things to do.Ah heck i just hope it''ll starts .I don''t think that changing the map environment dynamicaly will be a good idea.Althought there is sence is doing stuff like moving platforms,fans,grinders and such.What will be the bot actually is a question that consirnes me.I suggest that the bot will just be a struct with name,2 ints for position,heading parameters and some other little stuff.Also is their a movement techiniqe you require or will we be free to choose our own(besides the waypoints there is also ray-casting and such).Well hope it will be fun.Nice idea about that taunting.But 20 chars are a not much.I suggest 64 that will be much better.10x for reading!

"You losers better learn...NOONE CONTROLS OUR GOD DAMN LIFE!!!" - MANOWAR
quote: Original post by Khawk

/MindWipe

Yes. For fun, the bots can taunt (limited to 20 characters). It turns out that it''s a pretty good debugging tool as well.

Sounds great! I''m really looking forward to this.

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Yep.. that is a wonderful idea.
Is it as TERRARUIM (by Microsoft)?

I enjoyed myself for many time with my silly creature...

Just to warn you -- better make sure the engine will run on 99% of systems -- at least with a compatibility mode.
Few weeks ago I, along with thousands of others, downloaded the BBC''s year-in-development FightBox game, only to find it sprinkled with bugs.
It seems unfair that if it doesn''t work on some systems, others might get more time in development.....

-K
quote: Original post by Khawk

What about expletives? For instance, would TangoBot be allowed to say "Bitch mutha fucka!!!" (exactly fits the 20 character limit) when a direct hit to his person interrupts his wild Tango across the arena?
Wow! Sounds interesting. I''m basically new to this. I just feel like trying it out, Artificial Intelligence.

Well, just a suggestion, I don''t really know anything bout this, but could there be hand-to-hand combat. Like say both bots run out of ammunition (quite unlikely) but I think it''s possible or one of the bots is a die-hard or something.

And might there be any more info for beginners?

Nothing is Impossible
Sounds really, really cool. Too bad I can''t program very well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement