🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 4 months ago
I''m not comfortable with the idea of setting waypoints for your bot before the contest, as in a sense that provides a priori knowledge to the bot, that was obtained not by the bot, but by the programmer. And this is a bot AI contest, not a programmer AI contest. I have no qualms with allowing a bot to set its own waypoints during the play of the game.
Advertisement
Link to almost unrelated raving about a common bytecode language.
Will weapons be acquired in battle or will the bots weapon be defined in the AI code?
I wonder how well a twoinky-jumping-poinging bot would do... *grins*
quote: Original post by Mihail121
This contentest will be probably the MOST cool contest ever!!!It''s not only intresting and challenging but also fun!The stuff that you guys will provide us with some sort of API is also great.I suppose that we will also have access to the arena maps so we can train our bots a little(set waypoints and etc).I also suppose that the system will be client/server like the clients are our DLLs and the server is the arena itself.Well will see.

I just want to note that you''ll be responsible for setting waypoints, and that the map is basically the same, except the obstructions are randomly placed. Maybe there will be larger, different maps in the future. Anyway, this won''t be easy, and setting waypoints won''t be much easier. Your bot will only know what''s around it with a certain field-of-view and range at any one time. If you want to know the entire map, you''ll have to map it out based on the information you receive every cycle.

I probably said too much there, but I do want to stress that the API and the techniques people have to use are very different than what most are probably used to for working with "AI".

And yes, you''ll have access to the core executable, which actually creates the map every time it loads. You''re right, the system is client/server with clients being the bots and the server the core executable arena. You will see.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Mastaba
I''m not comfortable with the idea of setting waypoints for your bot before the contest, as in a sense that provides a priori knowledge to the bot, that was obtained not by the bot, but by the programmer. And this is a bot AI contest, not a programmer AI contest. I have no qualms with allowing a bot to set its own waypoints during the play of the game.

That is the only way they will be able to do it. The bots will have to do it during runtime, and it won''t be as easy as core->GetAllObjectsOnMap().

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
Will weapons be acquired in battle or will the bots weapon be defined in the AI code?

Weapons are predefined. I won''t say what they are or how they work right now, but there''s more than 1. Each bot will have limited ammunition for each weapon, but there is a point during the battle that an ammo box will appear randomly on the map (albeit in a fair-to-both-bots fashion). Whoever gets this ammo box first gets fully reloaded ammunition. The other is left to starve (or die).

Admin for GameDev.net.

Woo! I was right all along!

A basic example bot, which builds OK and can be shown, is a good idea IMO - though bear in mind that it will probably be used as a ''template'' from which other people can create their bots. We avoid problems with compiler/linker settings and so on that way.

Will we have to provide other assets than just the code? I''m thinking that if this is happening in 3D, our bots are going to need models - are you providing them, or are we making them? If you let us provide textures at the very least, I could see a prize for ''coolest looking bot'' being a possibility...

Actually, watching some episodes of Robot Wars (not sure what it''s called in the US - battlebots?) could be a good idea as far as issues in battle are concerned.

Like, are we going to be able to code our own weapons and stuff - or will it just be our AI ''at the helm'' of a common bot (same bot for each entrant...)

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote: Original post by Mastaba

i think you''ve never done any AI coding before.Have you ever tried to made a bot that can realize the environment around?I think no.Well i''ll tell you that you must be some kind of novel genious to make such a system alone or with a small team.Yeah after a 1000 bumps in the level walls the bot will realize the environment but where is the sence of doing that.Much easier is to set waypoints.The bot will choose to which waypoint to head easily and will only realize the game events,not the map environment.

"You losers better learn...NOONE CONTROLS OUR GOD DAMN LIFE!!!" - MANOWAR
quote: Original post by PouyaCat
I wonder how well a twoinky-jumping-poinging bot would do... *grins*

There is no jumping.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement