Advertisement

GameDev: Arena

Started by July 06, 2003 03:39 PM
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 8 months ago
quote: Original post by DuncanBojangles
One quick question, though. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being a total newbie to programming in general and 10 a godlike professional AI programmer, where would the average difficulty of this contest lie? What prerequisites are necessary to be able to program a bot. Thanks for reading through my lengthy post.

I was wondering this as well. Will it be easy enough to use, so that a wide variety can enter (not necessarily winning, but easy enough to "play"?) Are there any topics we should read up on, that might help with the programming aspect?

Peon
sounds kinda like this
http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com/home/home.html

i used to toy with this a lot, great time killer. (oddly addictive)

how much can a bot execute per cycle? will it be real time, where it''s up to you and the more you execute, the more time your bot needs to react, or is there a preset limit, where botx gets a call from the app, sends out all it''s "move:" and "fire" commands to the app, then it goes to boty

sounds fun, if i have time ill make sure to submit an entry
Advertisement
sweet!

umm... that is pretty much it, was kinda wondering on how some physics issues would resolve: momentum (more weight = less acceleration but greater momentum at similar velocities?), bouncing off of barriers (and other bots), ability to aquire angular momentum, etc...

just thought those might be some cool things to look into.

also, what about the ability to play short "taunt" audio files (like descent 3, the greatest game ever)?

again, sweet!

Brett Lynnes
cheez_keeper@hotmail.com
Brett Lynnescheez_keeper@hotmail.com
Say... will there be a team-challenge as well? As in, 2vs2 or 3vs3?
quote: Original post by Raptor85
... will it be real time, where it''s up to you and the more you execute, the more time your bot needs to react, ...

Ya know... This would be THE ultimate solution to the entire "the bot has to be fast enough" problem! If your bot is run in a thread with a limited amount of CPU time, the programmer doesn''t have to worry about exceeding any limits... the bot will just react sluggish, without slowing down the game or the other bot... so the programmer has a tradeoff between reaction speed, and tactical movement... *looks up at the Staff with big puppy eyes*

"Nothing shall remain,not your memory or name,it will be as though you never EVER lived....MUHAHAHA" - ManOwaR

"You losers better learn...NOONE CONTROLS OUR GOD DAMN LIFE!!!" - MANOWAR
Advertisement
Maximo Neato!

I''m so in!

.lick
do the bots have a warmup-time, to examine the map and gather some informations? and do we get an email (newsletter) when the contest starts? i dont want to look in the contest area and there''s one day left...

what about the aiming, the bot is fixed in y-direction(top down) !? but if u have a random ground it could happen that the enemy bot is to high to be hit?! slowdonw on hill climbind?

do weapons shoot/go(bullet will be plazed behind the wall if the gun is inside) through walls/obstacle''s etc?

do we have some gfx @ matchtime, and is it a sort of spectator or can we see how our and the enemy bot acts (Firstperson)?

what are the requirements to join the play-for-prize cathegory (100posts on gdnet? ai reaction time under 10ms?)???

T2k
Sounds good, but whats the required skill level for entry? I just wanna try it out, I''ve always been interested in AI and such. Is simple knowledge of C++ going to be enough?

Anyways, sweet idea. Cant wait to mess around with it.
"Whats that Lassie? Timmys stuck in a well? You were with ME from 11pm to 2am this morning, thats right..."
Read the official page (link is in the original post). There is also a beginner cup. The beginner cup requires no skill level at all, but you can also win no prices. If you enter the pro-cup without much skill, I don''t think it matters either. You will just not get very far.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement