🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New Contest ?

Started by
42 comments, last by Tha_HoodRat 24 years, 2 months ago
Had no idea so many pips were into contests .

..Trying to take me outta the Ghetto , but I'm still buck wild . So I'll hustle up wit em , knuckle up wit em hoody hooo..............
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Advertisement
Hey, we can have everyone work on an RPG...oh wait.

I think the only rules there should be is a time limit (you can''t enter a game that you have been working on for the last few months), and a no snitching idea rule. we souldn''t have to be limited to certain artwork too.
Ooh. Here''s an idea. How about a contest where you do only the graphics and sound.

We put together a generic game of some type that loads all of its bitmaps and sounds out of external BMP and WAV files, which are all currently nothing but placeholders. People then have to draw their own bitmaps and record their own sounds for the game. Whoever can make the generic game look and sound best wins.

I like the idea of throwing some twists into the contest. If it''s just a "who can make the best game" contest over and over, it''ll get dull. Let''s have fun with it!

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Tell me wath you think of this idea.

The goal of the contest wil be to make the FUNNIEST game . The judge will not choose the best one...but the funiest one, this will let us use our game design skils (rather than programming). And everyone will be larfing at the contest entry

Delisk
I like the idea Johnhattan. The only problem I can forsee is that some may not have the resources like a mic. I do. Also, I don't have a midi recorder (sequencer) if we were to have music. I guess I could hum the music (you wouldn't want me singing). The graphics would be ok with everyone I suppose (we all have paint right?).

Also, I think it would be good to have a choice between two different types of games or more. For instance, something like, "You could make an asteriods or dig dug clone." Some people may like to program one type of game more than another. I would also add a little more variability which is nice. I agree also, there must be a twist, because a free for all would just bring out old games people might have been working on for a long time.

Anyway, whatever is cool with me as long as it isn't a Direct3D or OpenGL or I won't be able to enter yet until I get a book. Although, I could do a vector graphics one.

Edited by - NickGA on May 12, 2000 12:54:22 PM
"If you build it, it will crash."
How about short time limit ? That''ll throw a twist in the proverbial tail Like a wise man once said ,
quote: We know you can do it , but can you do it with a gun to your head?

..Trying to take me outta the Ghetto , but I'm still buck wild . So I'll hustle up wit em , knuckle up wit em hoody hooo..............
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Is it the end of the week yet?

[must start new contest!]

nathany.com
Nick, that''s the breaks. If you don''t have a microphone or decent sound-skills, then you won''t do too well in the contest. It''s no more discriminatory than the last contest, in which people who didn''t have a Windows compiler and/or programming skills weren''t able to compete.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

here is a thort ,we all have differint ways of exspresing our selfs..so why not have it open(do what you do best)
"sorry if my english sucks"<---------carnt spell to good and its 5.21am lol
A.make teams of 5 only.
B.games called *Awaits*
C.run thrue...

1]-4 player game option.
this alows 4 players to play at one time,but on 4 different areas.
2]-1player option, there will be 3hunters controled by games IE.
3]-the game is * into 2 types of game..
a]-the HUNT ( there can only be one )so (B) may be completed..
b]-finish set taskes and destroy enamy.
.......2.players will meet on the same randim solection of areas to dull it out once ever would ,untill there is only one player left..
4]-game is * into 4 woulds and these are * (devided) into areas..
a]-would 1 /outer layer/it has 8 areas to it/the 4 players start on this would/one player must die,so the next would will be opened..so the hunt begins!
b]-would 2 /the base/it has 4 areas to it/only 3 players start on this would/one player must die,so the next would will be opened.

"so now you should have 2 evenly balinced players for would 3"

c]-would 3 /the base inner layer/it has 4 areas to it/only one may go on,as all items must be at full strenth for player to enter would 4 .
d]-would 4 /heart of base/it has 1 area to it /you not been hunted ?but something is waiting for you!...complete final mision and escape.

5]-what happens when you destroy a player on the hunt?
a]-weapon:interconects with your weapon,there by giving you the abilaty of weapon + the abilaty of a (new power weapon), made up of both weapons .[alows b ]
b]-ammo:power ammo made up of both ammo types =chang in ammo, stile /strength/speed.
c]-set shield:ded players abilaty gets added to your abilaty.
d]-life:same as SET SHIELD.

"so your power weapon should have upgraided 3 times\all basic weapons gone ,as power weapon is biuilt with them /as well as having 4types of power mags\basic ammo is lost when power ammo is made"

power ammo types:
1/fast mag 2/hard mag 3/plazma 4/pulsa 5/vaperizer{speshell power mag ,get it when you have all 4 power mags.power weapon can swich between power mags...

6]-coolint:put it this way you whont run out of ammo there is more than enuph,but your weapon can over heat
"weapon when hot jamed,so weapon may not be yoused for (x) amounty of time./lucky you have coolint"this alows for longer fireing times as it keeps weapon cool ,but at the cost of coolent//coolent will be a must have item and a bitch to get hahah!(only 4 contaners of coolint can be carreyed at one time )

7]-no maps or keys ...
8]-itimes droped or found in game :
a]-life full 25%/50%/100%
b]-tempery shields 25%/50%
c]-coolient 25%/50%/100%/200%
d]-ammo 1/2 weapon carry abilaty[]full weapon carry abilaty
9]-to compleat final mission you must do :
a]-be the only player left
b]-kill every and any thing that moves
c]-kill end boss
d]-feed in rong cowordanints to alian fleat
e]-destroy moon base
f]-do not fail
----------------x-----------------------
every thing else should be created by the team,just to see what cool different things we all come up with,sorry it jumbeld up a bit but its now 7.24 am im of to sleep and i hope i woke your minds upto a cool project
rivit..........

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement