🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New Contest ?

Started by
42 comments, last by Tha_HoodRat 24 years, 2 months ago
How about if the contest was "Make an asteriods type game that is the least copyright infringing."

Is that an oxymoron?
"If you build it, it will crash."
Advertisement
Let's not require spritelib this time please. As a VB programmer I'd like to join. I could have linked through a dll, but I'm too lazy.

Edited by - Anonymous Poster on May 9, 2000 6:10:37 PM

Edited by - nes8bit on May 9, 2000 6:15:36 PM
Why would VB preclude you from using Spritelib? There was a VB entry in the last contest.

Spritelib is a collection of game-related clipart. It''s not an animation library.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

quote: Original post by Myopic Rhino
In addition, it''s hard to compare games of different genres.

Yeah, so lets go back and rejudge the first contest based on genre. Woo! I''ve got puzzle games all wrapped up! Whee!

(I''m kidding of course. )

Thanks to everybody who sent me kind words about Bugz. Your checks are in the mail, I promise.

Jesse Chounard
As johnhattan said there was a VB entry in the last contest, it was mine, and it was actually one of the winners, so theres nothing to stop you using VB.
----------------
Black Edge Games
----------------
I like the idea of having a "genre" contest. Pick a really simple game, like Galaxian or Dig Dug, and see who could do the most elaborate homage.

It''d be fun to see what "extras" people could add to a simple concept. Extra points for humor.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

quote: Original post by johnhattan

Why would VB preclude you from using Spritelib? There was a VB entry in the last contest.

Spritelib is a collection of game-related clipart. It''s not an animation library.

Well I feel pretty damn stupid then.

I like the idea of an old game with some...twists to it. I''m writing my own version of Pong right now (as my first-ever game), and I''m adding some twists to it, such as the paddles growing and shrinking during the game, or the ball exploding into 4 smaller balls (haven''t quite worked that one out yet). It''s probably been done before, but I haven''t seen it.

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm
How about a remake of Borderbund''s ''Raid on Bungling Bay''? For those who haven''t seen or heard of it, it basically was a top down view apache game for the Commodore 64. Your mission was to destroy as many defences as you could on a series of islands (chained together so that you could ''fly around the world''. It had SAM sites, jet interceptors, AAA emplacements, and a battleship (the primary target) under constrution. Your goal was to keep the battleship from launching, and if it did, you had to sink it - the you''d win the game (I think). For repairs, you would fly back to your carrier for repairs and rearmament. The tough part was, the defenses kept regenerating, so that SAM and radar site might be back the next time you fly by.

Might be too hard of a game to duplicate since I''ve not ever heard of it again.
How bout a 3d shooter?

Just kidding

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement