Advertisement

Questions about C

Started by March 10, 2000 08:38 PM
12 comments, last by Assassin101 24 years, 6 months ago
Quake 1 - ANSI C, compiled using DJGPP, and lots of assembly
Quake 2 - ANSI C, compiled using Visual C++ 4.0, and lots more assembly
Quake 3 - ANSI C, compiled using Visual C++ 6.0, with not nearly as much assembly

Fun, no?

Oh, and Athlons and Pentiums support the same instruction set, the x86 instruction set. This means that a normal x86 compiler will generate code that can run on either. They both also support some extended instructions that are unique to them, that you pretty much have to manually code for in assembly language to use.

More fun, no?
Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan on 3/11/00 5:50:25 PM
Look,
Wolf3d, Doom, Doom2, Quake, Quake2
All coded in C & asm.
You can even download the source for
Wolf, Doom and Quake(1) and check it if you want.
Quake had it''s own scripting language (QuakeC)

Quake3 was coded in C/C++ it had generated
asm for different processors (hand optimized too,
but initially generated) Quake3 also has it''s
own language which is mainly for portability
between OS''s and processors, which is why there
is a VM and all the other crap that goes with the
territory.

Athlons? thats a processor developed by AMD, I''m
not sure which architecture they follow, I doubt it''s
intel''s, but I do know they have their own additional instructions and the name is just so they can patent it.

If any info there is wrong, I''m sure someone will
point it out.

Take it easy,

-Mezz
Advertisement
From a lot of benchmarks and such that I''ve seen, Athlons outperform Pentium IIIs. And, yes, Athlons use x86 architecture, otherwise people wouldn''t be able to run Windows 9x on ''em. =)

I''m not aware of Mr. Carmack ever having used C++ for any of his games. In fact, I don''t even know of his having used C++ for anything he''s released at all--he seems to prefer Objective-C (I wish I were cool and knew Objective-C =) ). It''d be cool if he were to come on here and give us the story straight from the source, if only because we all seem to be in some slight disagreement. =)
i''m pretty sure that at least Q3 used C++ for the engine (i remember reading somewhere about why id decided to switch to C++ for the engine, for either Q2 or Q3, because of modularity purposes i believe)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement