Advertisement

Borland Compilers

Started by February 27, 2000 01:22 PM
2 comments, last by Ran 24 years, 6 months ago
I recently purchased a Borland Compiler (Turbo 4.5, for windows). Now, I wanted something more complex than an old DOS compiler(1985?) and, I feel duped. Novices (newbie is too childish), avoid Borland like the plague. The code generated is slower than VC++ and the interface seems dated. The debugger in Turbo 4.5 seems fairly intuitive, but that is it''s only saving grace. The question. I can''t get the compiler to make 32 bit Windows applications. Does anyone know how, off hand, to force it to build these? My manual (yes I read it) states that 16 bit windows applications may be made, but makes no reference to the 32 bit applications used today (though there is a reference to 32 bit DOS files). Thanks for your time.
Turbo is and old compiler. Download the free Borland Builder compiler from their website.

http://www.inprise.com/about/press/2000/bcppcompiler.html

--Rick
Advertisement
I have the same software. It''s really old.

My Turbo C++ 4.5 for Windows came with Turbo C++ 3.1 for DOS when I bought Borland C++ Builder 1.0 (Learning edition).

Yep, download the free command-line Borland C++ 5.5 compiler.
Borland compilers on the whole are very good. The problem is you bought Turbo C++ 4.5, which I believe is 7 years old and for Windows 3.1. Which would explain why it won''t compile 32 bit windows applications. And why the interface feels dated.
Borland, I believe, abandoned the Turbo series of compilers about 4 or 5 years ago.

The current Borland products are very good. The most modern C++ compiler from Borland is currently Borland C++ Builder 5.0. I highly recommend the C++ Builder series to anyone who wants to compile standard Win32 applications.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement