Advertisement

PlaySound?

Started by February 23, 2000 09:23 PM
1 comment, last by Esap1 24 years, 6 months ago
Isnt PlaySound fast enough just for back ground Music. It didnt seem to slow down my game 2 much, what do YOU think? thanks alot
Yo,

Well, I think that in that way you won''t get anymore music or sounds, since PlaySound uses the standards waveout routines... I suggest you use DirectSound, that can make software mixing (or hardware, where avaiable), thus allowing you to play various sounds simultaneously (or you can make your own software mixer, but that wouldn''t be very fast...).

Hope that helps,
Nicodemus.
Nicodemus.----"When everything goes well, something will go wrong." - Murphy
Advertisement
Mmm, a few notes (pun not intended):

PlaySound can only play one sound at a time, which has been noted previously... do you want any sound effects?

PlaySound requires your song to be a .wav. Major size hit there, for a song of any length.

MCI MIDI is not hard. Granted you have to realize that your song will sound different on different machines, and compensate.

DMusic MIDI is not hard, and it''s software emulated, and it has a rather nice voice set. It works nicely with DirectSound, which is also not hard. I would argue that DMusic is the easiest DX component to get working, in the "as much as you need to run it" area.

Both the MIDI playing kits are of course harder than PlaySound, but not really much harder, and you get to have sound effects, which is a bonus. I''ve worked with both so just ask if you have problems.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement