Advertisement

Multitasking Kernel

Started by February 17, 2000 07:15 AM
2 comments, last by Dan Poh 24 years, 7 months ago
Hi. I''m new on Gamedev.net, so bear with me if I''m off topic here. It''ll take me a couple of posts to learn the ropes of posting on this forum. I''ve not been programming for close to ten years. But I''m getting back on the wagon... really... First things first, anyone know where I can get the source for a reasonably good multitasking kernel (under Windows) in C/C++? And no, I''m not looking for commercial code. Or, can I dispense with such a kernel and rely on calls to the WINAPI (multitasking) kernel? Are there such calls? How do you do it? Basically I need to control game sprites in real-time and not execute them in a traditional loop. And, off course, at the same time, a hundred other things are going on. I''ve never done programming under Windows or C++... yet... Hope I make sense. Thanks.
Windows95 (and newer versions) directly support multithreading. Just make sure you link with the multithreaded versions of any lib's your using. If you want to know more about multithreading and windows programming I suggest "Programming Windows: Fifth Edition" by Charles Petzold.

Edited by - RMack on 2/17/00 8:01:36 AM
- Ryan -
Advertisement
The Win32 API supplies functions for multi-threading under Windows 9x and NT. Also, since it sounds like you might be interested in lower level code, Fiber structures (user scheduled threads) are available on Windows 98 and NT 3.5.1 SP3 and later.
If you''re using VC 6, the Windows SDK docs make an excellent reference.

Good Luck

- null_pointer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement