Advertisement

These huge books

Started by February 14, 2000 07:15 PM
23 comments, last by theRaskell 24 years, 7 months ago
Thanks for all the useful tips. I think right now I basically suffer from a lack of desk space (given that my monitor, keyboard, and mouse take up about 85% of my usable desk space at this time) A closed book just fits into the space available on the left side of my keyboard. Of course, once it''s opened, half the book hangs off the edge. Not a problem until I start getting to the halfway point of the book. Then I have to deal with keeping the book open AND keeping it from falling off the desk. The desk isn''t high enough to put the book in my lap, and there isn''t enough room to put the book between the keyboard and monitor (It''d obscure the bottom half of the monitor). Bottom line is I need a new desk. I just don''t have enough space!! I need more room then my current studio apartment provides! Ah, the woes of a fledging game developer just trying to get on his feet.
In that case... do you have any dining room chairs? Those make great book props when you don''t have any desk space, and if you want it up higher just stack a few books under it. If you''re anything like me, you''ve never actually used your dining room table for eating on, so the loss of a chair "for the greater good" won''t hurt.

-fel
~ I love my recently-acquired huge desk. *grin* ~
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Advertisement
Heh, indeed I''ve never used my dining room table for eating. Oh, wait... I don''t even have a dining room table. The only other chair I have is my recliner for watching movies. Then there''s my tv, dvd player, dolby digital sound system, printer cart (with a printer on it, of course), book case , dresser, and mountain bike (unfortunately the motorcycle has to stay outside). Oh, and of course my bed. The Fridge is full of soda and snacks, as are my cupboards. I always eat out, or at my parents. (I drive right by their house on the way to and from work. It works out perfect) Anyways, I''m making do with the programming books, and finding the resources available on the web more and more useful as I get the basics in my grasp. Won''t be long and I won''t need the books at all anymore.
You''ll always need the books. I live by a statement I was once told by a very successful businessman, "Don''t memorize anything you can write down and easily get to later." Books as reference are wonderful as they allow you to forget the nuts and bolts and focus on the concept. After all you can just look up the nuts and bolts whenever you need them.

Kressilac
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
you could get a wooden board, stuff one end under your PC/monitor, and let the other end go straight out of your desk, and put the book there with some weight to keep the pages from flipping. Of course if you put too much weight on the board, you could end with one less monitor on the surface of the desk.
I use a mixture of the above methods (proping the book open with my monitor, resting on my legs while I put my feet up and putting it on a nearby chair). Just improvise and remember you can always close the book when you''ve finished...the amount of times you''ll end up holding a book open forgetting that you''d finished with it hours ago...hehe
another point about the size of these books is that I found that to be able to read as much as I wanted in one sitting I had to be able to do 100 press ups in less than 5 minutes otherwise my arms just give up...and the only problems with soft copies that you can keep on your monitor is if you want to read them instead of the book your eyes give up...oh well...just better keep doing my press ups...

Hargle
Hargle
Advertisement
I usually stick the book on my lap, roll my chair forward, and tuck the very top of it under the table that the computer is on.

If there is open space on the table, i will open the book to the page i want, and put something heavy on the lighter side of the book. Just use what is available.

- Moe -
when all else fails, just use your mental powers to hold it open... works like a charm
and if that doesn''t work, tear the pages out of the book that you need and put them on the desk in the open space that would be occupied by a closed book.
-uncreativpresidenthalosoft, inc.halosoft.hypermart.net
I put some thing on the pages and then move it when you read.

James Bond

Edited by - Martin2 on 2/17/00 1:11:10 PM
James Bond

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement