These huge books

Started by
23 comments, last by theRaskell 24 years, 6 months ago
I''m having a real problem just handling some of these large programming books while sitting at my PC. Right now I have Tricks of the Windows Programming Gurus, Programming Windows 95, and How to Program C++. All are 1000+ pages and several inchs thick. It''s very frustrating trying to read these books WHILE being able to sit at my PC and type. The books don''t stay open to the page they''re on without something holding them open. I think what I need is some sort of book holding mechanism, but I haven''t seen anything that would be able to deal with these heavy 2 inch thick books. How did everyone else (and those of you in the same learning process as me) handle and manage these behemoth racks of paper? Is it just a royal pain that I have no choice but to deal with, or is there some trick that makes it all easier that I just haven''t figured out yet?
Advertisement
My reference books are covered in little sticky notes for pages of interest, along with a scribbled note as to what they are. I also wedge a big highlighter in them while they are on my lap, that helps some. Also, if the book comes with one, the softcopy version of the book is really handy to alt-tab in and out of while you work, or place strategically so you can see it.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
I need to ask you a question:

Why did you post this question in a game programming forum?

Anyway, to answer your question, I lean back the chair back onto it''s two back legs. Then I sit, leaned back, cross-legged holding the book in my lap. Good luck with your reading. bye.
D:
To read my programming books while sitting at my PC and typing, I have this small piece of wood that sits on my desk right next to me. This piece of wood (from viewed from its side) looks like \_ so the bottom piece can hold on the book, while it is tilted. That way, I can glance over to the book on it''s little stand, and read it. I dunno... just a though. You can probably make something like that really easily. I found mine in my basement!
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
i tuck the front part of the open book under the tube of the monitor (my monitor has about 3 inches between the bottom of the tube and the desk surface). this has the advantage of holding the front of the book in place without obstructing the pages. the disadavtange is that 3 inches is a lot of "free play" for a book thats only 200 pages. the book ends up being curled up quite a bit, so it''s hard to read. but my hands are free to type code and stuff.

of course this wont work with those new flat screen monitors, but i doubt anyone is spending the money to buy those.

i think this is a branch of uselessology called bookholdology

I just simply get another chair, put my legs up and rest the book on my lap. Or put it on the table when my neck starts to hurt from always turning it towards the moniter.

-David
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "
My desk is pretty high, just perfect for my height (I''m a tall fella). So it works out that I can comfortably rest my forearms on the open book while I program.
I usually use my forehead to keep these books open -
Helps reading too...

- Sleepwalker
- Sleepwalker
PsYcHoPrOg - Why do you think the habits of people using books to program shouldn''t be here? I seem to think how we get at the information that helps us support what we do is just as important as everything else. I give this guy credit, he is not coming to the forum asking people how to declare an int in his newly designed FPS game. Anyway just my two cents.

I usually place books to the side of me while I am programming. Using tabs like Fel, I can quickly get to where I have to be. I also hav e the benefit of two other computers so I can always switch over to another monitor to read MSDN online or something like that as well. Having the stuff online has been nice.

Kressilac
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
just take anything that is heavy enough and then put it on top of one side to prevent it from flipping. easy heh?
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement