Advertisement

Linux Help Continued

Started by February 14, 2002 07:24 PM
8 comments, last by Vegadam 22 years, 7 months ago
Ok, here is what happens. When I try to put Lilo on, it wont let me put it on over the windows partition, only Linux, or Swap. Then, Windows is the one that boots. Whats wrong?
Ok, I found a way to boot, but its only through the disk. But when I do, I get the the [root@localhost/root]# screen, and type startx, but it keeps giving me this error that says No Screens Fond, Whats wrong?? Thank you.

Advertisement
Try running xf86config to configure X. You may need to download drivers for your video card. Also, keep in mind that it''s not a good idea to run as root for normal usage; you should create another user account for yourself.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Ok, How do I add the ne account?

Just run ''adduser'', and answer the questions that it asks.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
When you install Linux, you should select to install Lilo on the mbr ( master boot record )
If you can boot from a diskette you can get more info with the commands man lilo , and man lilo.conf ( it gives an example of a typical /etc/lilo.conf file for installing it on the mbr ).
Maybe you shouild reinstall from Linux from scratch.
Every time you edit the /etc/lilo.conf file you must enter the command"lilo" to activate the modifications.
As you looks like a freshnewbie, have a look at www.linuxnewbie.org
Advertisement
Ok, when I get to the part that asks me where I want to put lilo on the HD it dosnt display the MBR only the paritions I just added. What is ahppening. Also, whe I do try to boot in with start X it just says no screens found.

I think more informations would help. Which distro are you using? Which version? Have you tried to partition the HD yourself rather than using an automatic tool? It is possible that the installer detected your other OS (that''s likely) and thus doesn''t offer you to install LiLo on the MBR by default. There might be an "expert" more or something like that.

As for X, you''ll have to configure it before running it. Run ''xf86config'' as root (like Martee said), and answer the questions it asks. Then switch back to your normal user account and try to start it again. If that doesn''t work, there are multiple possible causes. Make sure you''ve selected the correct drivers for your card, make sure the refresh values of your monitor are correct, etc. If all of that seems ok, try to set the display variable manually (type "export DISPLAY=:0.0" without the quotes), and then try to start X again.

I''d strongly suggest to read the (insane) amount of documentation available on the net as soon as possible.
If you want to learn more about linux try www.linuxfromscratch.org this distribution needs some time to get installend .. but you will learn a lot more.
Well its not a real distribution, it is just a great book, and all the source code packages you need to get Linux running.
Actually, if you''re using X 4.0+, you should do "XFree86 -setup"

At least, I believe that''s the option. If not, just do a man XFree86 or whatever to see what it is (if it''s not -setup, it''s something similar).

rm -rf /bin/laden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement