Advertisement

Something that pisses me off

Started by February 14, 2000 05:38 AM
20 comments, last by Ysaneya 24 years, 7 months ago
Number of posts complaining about newbies in the past week: 3

Number of annoying newbie posts in the past week: 0.

Im really starting to wonder why everyone is jumping on this "bash the newbie" train.

In my opinion, this is one of the major problems back on GPMega''s message board... and... now... its seeping onto this one.

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
This is a recurring theme in every community's growth. It's going to happen, and we as forum moderators will need to monitor things to make sure people don't complain about "newbie's" too much. Yes, it can be frustrating when people refuse to listen to you, but that's alright. The idea is to help people when they need help. If they don't want the help or opinions, then fine, that is their perogative. It's all one vicious little cycle, and every person goes through it. Just remember, we were all a newbie at some point.

Kevin Hawkins
http://www.gamedev.net

Edited by - Khawk on 2/14/00 4:21:43 PM

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
I think the old timers around her are frustrated by the fact that some newbies seem to ask for help before making an effort to help themselves.

The most important skill a fledgling game programmer can learn, IMHO, is how to find information on the web. Most of the problems and questions a newbie has have been answered a million times before. The information is out there, and it''s easy to find. Just check the resource section of this site

On the other hand, I think this message board, and it''s members, is the best thing about GDNet, and I can see how it''s tempting to post any old question here. I mean, if anything, it brings you into contact with other game programmers, and there''s a sense of community here isn''t found in any usenet FAQ or tutorial site

I''ve been making an effort to provide links to resources, rather than answers, to these kind of questions. Hopefully, the newbies will see that the answers and resources are out there, and realize that it''s usually faster too.

- genovov
This just goes to show that there are many more beginners than experienced programmers. This is true in any field.. I just hope the beginners don''t get put off game development because of these rants. If you''re a beginner and you''re reading this, don''t get "weeded out" of game development. The more people making good games, the better. Keep at it, and keep this post in the back of your mind.

Personally, I enjoy answering a worthwhile question someone might have. If I know the answer, I will post it (unless a deluge of correct answers has already been posted; I won''t add to the pile). If the person benefits from that answer, then I feel I''ve done a good deed. I''ve helped someone; I''ve shared my knowledge. It''s as simple as that.

But when someone asks a question that can easily be answered using a quick web search, I don''t even want to answer, because it won''t help them in the long run. It will only help them in the immediate future, then they will be right back here with other trivial questions, and the vicious cycle will continue. </i> <br><br>What I''m saying is I don''t answer trivial questions. When it shows that someone has looked it up, tried it out, and is still having problems, then I''m glad to help if I can.
I don''t think the problem is.. asking questions. We have all been newbies at some time, and it wasn''t my rant. When i can, i am happy to answer newbie''s questions. Also, i don''t think i''m not tolerant. Nowhere in my post did i say they shouldn''t be allowed to post or to require help. However, what i''m contesting is people that start to search for help _before_ they themselves have a precise idea of what they''re doing. It doesn''t require knowledge, just common sense. I just find it naive. In 99% of the situations, they will only succeed in making people lose their time.

Y.
Oups. The previous post was from me. Forgot to fill out my name Sorry.

Y.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by genovov

I think the old timers around her are frustrated by the fact that some newbies seem to ask for help before making an effort to help themselves.

The most important skill a fledgling game programmer can learn, IMHO, is how to find information on the web.

- genovov

Um, huh? They did, GameDev.Net

~Vlarr
Vlarr@hotmail.com
ICQ # 50607306
~Vlarr
Well i''m far from experianced but I answer any questions on this board that I can answer. I also ask questions about stuff I don''t know.

Some things I know and some things I don''t.

Besides most of the people here make games just for fun (As in not getting paid for it)

What has caused you to rant about this... has seeing these posts given you some mental breakdown? If not just ignore them.

Better yet, why have you even posted about this? Do you think your little post would have any effect to change it? I doubt it... I personally hate posts like this... Complaining about little inocent things, Its a waste of space as far as I am concernd.
And may I ask where can I find experienced and dedicated people, like few of us? Since I worked for a game company, I always want to develop games beside my daily job and I found that clever people don''t work overtime unless paid. So that''s why some of us lurking in this page (, I think ), waiting for hidden gems to surface.

Regards,
bernie

trixter, I guess you are the exception =) I just can''t imagine doing without the help of the people on this message board, as well as my 5 game development books. Regarding the subject, I agree completely with Khawk.

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement