Advertisement

Tricks of Linux games programming gurus

Started by February 13, 2002 08:27 AM
6 comments, last by Biased turkey 22 years, 4 months ago
IMHO, "Tricks of Windows games programming gurus" written by Andre Lamothe is one of the best books about games programming for beginners.It is well written, simple, complete including maths about matrixs and elementary physics adapted to games programming Of course, the only compaint is .. the word Windows ( vomit on the keyboard here ) As a project, I started to adapt all the exemples from the book but using SDL instead of DirectX. It,s very interesting and instructive. So far I completed chapter 8 about polygons translation, rotation and scaling. All in all, with Lamothe and Linux you can have the best of both worlds.
Opinions vary.

You don''t need a big fat book to tell you the basics on many subjects, when you could get a variety of books and articles on those same subjects IN GREATER DETAIL.

In the end, man, you won''t be using the book all the way. You''ll be using something a little smarter: You''re Brain.

And the Internet.
Advertisement
Maybe when you''re done converting everything to SDL, you should submit it to LaMothe and see if he''ll get that published for you or something

rm -rf /bin/laden
actually thats a kind of neat idea, i''d read it
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
OK guys, I''m taking deposits for pre-publication orders of my book. No crappy Canadian money please, payement in strong US $ only
I could post the source code of one example, but only for the ones that don''t use Lamothe''s artwork , I don''t want to be sued by Andre.So one example out of chapter 8 would be fine because that chapter deals with line drawing and polygons and are artworkless ( no bitmaps ), unless Andre patented the triangle and the square.
I never uploaded a source code so I would like to know how to do it, or I could email the source code to one of you to host it on a website.
What do you think ?

Go for it, I''ll buy it. Where is the button thingy to reserve a copy???? I assume you take credit cards?!?!?!
Advertisement
Oluseyi, I don''t know about you, but I don''t like it when people resurrect old threads when not adding anything good to the discussion.

rm -rf /bin/laden
...Particularly a thread with little initial merit.

Thread closed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement