Advertisement

Question...

Started by February 10, 2002 10:38 AM
1 comment, last by GarlandIX 22 years, 7 months ago
I have been learning the basics of C++ for about a month and a half now and I feel that I am ready to start trying to learn a graphics API. So, I was wondering what would be a good one to learn and use at this point. BTW, I am NOT trying to start a flame war, I am just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of the different APIs(DirectX, OpenGL, SDL, etc...) are.
------------------------------BASIC programmers don't die, they just GOSUB and don't return.
If you're really new to game development, you should definately go with SDL. SDL is very powerful, especially for an API that is so simple to use.

Like you said, you've only been programming with C++ for a month or so. With the other APIs, you'll be forced to work with the WinAPI (maybe not with OpenGL), but with SDL, all you need is to know C++.

Look at my profile signature for where to start. I'd say go with the GameDev.net tutorials first, then Cone3D, and then check out the Doc Project on www.libsdl.org for even more information.

SDL is a 2D API, by the way. OpenGL is a 3D API. Direct3D is a 3D API, but if you wan't, you can use DirectDraw from DirectX version 7 as a 2D API.

I would really suggest working with a 2D API before 3D.

Good luck.

------------------------------
Simple DirectMedia Layer:

Main Site - (www.libsdl.org)
Cone3D Tutorials- (cone3D.gamedev.net)
GameDev.net's Tutorials - (Here)

OpenGL:

Main Site - (www.opengl.org)
NeHe Tutorials - (nehe.gamedev.net)
Online Books - (Red Book) (Blue Book)

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on February 10, 2002 11:57:25 AM
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Advertisement
Thanks for the advice. However, I still have a problem. I have Dev-C++ and I have been trying to set SDL up (according to the instructions on cone3d) and it won''t work! What is the problem? I also tried to set up GLUT and it doesn''t work either! What could I be doing wrong?????
------------------------------BASIC programmers don't die, they just GOSUB and don't return.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement