Advertisement

First 3D Project Suggestions

Started by February 02, 2002 12:17 AM
9 comments, last by THE Omega 22 years, 7 months ago
What was the first 3D game you made? I don''t wanna begin something like quake and then end up wasting a month on something I won''t complete. So what would you recommend to someone who knows OpenGL pretty well and needs a way to apply his knowledge?
You should start with a tank battle game. 3rd person, mouse aims turret, arrows move body.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Advertisement
Hmmmm that doesn''t sound too hard. I could probably do that one. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else wanna contribute?
how about 3d pong?
Seeing as u say your so good @ OpenGL, could u give me a site where i can learn everythin i need 2 know bout OpenGL game programming or teach me...
my email is fireant2002@hotmail.com

Make an adventure type game like Zelda, they don''t get boring 4 ages.. n r fun
-=Game Programmer=-
Seeing as u say your so good @ OpenGL, could u give me a site where i can learn everythin i need 2 know bout OpenGL game programming or teach me...

-=Game Programmer=-
Advertisement

-=Game Programmer=-
doh, i thought there were a buncha people that replied. it was just one person replying three times. Well, here''s what I did. I began with the NeHe tutorials (nehe.gamedev.net). They''re very easy to follow, and they''re a good way to start. Then, after I had done alot of their tutorials and even started messing with the advanced ones, I started looking for actual game programming tutorials instead of general opengl ones. I followed the game programming tutorials at NeHe and I also bought the OpenGL Game Programming book. That should put you at a good level to start making games.

Now, I don''t think I really wanna make 3D pong. It''s just too boring.

I might consider the Zelda thing, but I sorta wanna make something 3D. I''ve already made pong and tetris a buncha times. I need something 3D now.

Any other suggestions?
These are not games...but it''s to know if you make one...

Make an optimized octree implementation...
Test AABB-trees, OBB-trees, sphere-trees. Test various optimizations such as "the octant test". Test different bounding volumes for the view frustum - cone & sphere comes to mind.

Code an BSP-tree implementation.

Collision detection using either a BSP-tree and/or an octree.

Try out lightmapping, shadowmapping, shadow volumes.

Very important: Keyframe animation and then, the not so important, skinning. Using bones, and maybe muscles.

If you know how to do half of that, then you''re good to go and make a full-featured 3D game - like the suggested tank game.
Hmmm, I guess I will have to explore some of those things eventually. They''re just so boring sometimes. But I guess I''ve got my work set out for me. Thanks for the advice. Any other suggestions?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement